Your EDC bag

The area to discuss BOB's, EDC's, GHB's and other gear. Also includes Comms and other radio topics.
Tixx

Re: Your EDC bag

Post by Tixx »

David wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:26 pm
Tixx wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:58 am I use the Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon II bag for EDC.
That definitely will have plenty of room for just about anything you'd need. How long have you been using it?
For at least 6 years now. Possibly more. 18 liters is sufficient for me plus the water bottle holder for the obvious and the other being used as an umbrella holder are perfect. I even got another for my BOB.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I've been seeing more and more people using some type of small backpack while their out and about. Lot of the Deputies on my shift bring them to work as well.

Right now I'm using a cheapy knock-off for work. It's 'okay' and works but it isn't Maxpedition.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Tixx

Post by Tixx »

Definitely more common for city commuters. More acceptable now for white collar workers. Better for back as well.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Tixx wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:37 am Definitely more common for city commuters. More acceptable now for white collar workers. Better for back as well.
My son is in college and takes a backpack with him almost daily, whether for school or work. Yes, much more common place these days. That is good for a couple of reasons; first, regardless of what people have with them, they have something with them that otherwise they might not. Better to have at least something than nothing at all. Secondly, it makes it more common place i.e. grey man for those that do so as a prep. It's blending rather than sticking out like a sore thumb.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Tixx

Post by Tixx »

Good points on that! I do like the greyman aspect and try to keep my bags low key. I even remove the Maxpedition logo and any bling type items. Definitely smart to always have with him. The better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it theory. Even if only a few items. Keep it simple.
KILLERtj

Post by KILLERtj »

I carry a Tactical Tailor Urban Operator daily to work.
Great bag with plenty of room for my EDC needs.

KILLERtj
Strayz

Post by Strayz »

So I have been using a named brand messenger bag for my EDC bag, I have just decided that it is for my drone now, and I will limit my EDC bag to the smallest thing I can fit my netscout and laptop in to. Everything else is in the GHB.

I Have bags for the Drone, Camera gear, and GHB.

One of the reasons I had to go to a separate bag for the drone and camera gear is that the separate gear is not overlapping by much and I find myself taking them both. A single camera body, 2-3 lenses, a flash head or two, one brella, one light stand, and things start to get heavy. (Yes that is what I consider my on the go camera kit.)

Drone Kit, Drone, controler, Batteries, cables, tablet, tablet holder and safety strap, landing pad, batter pack for charging tablet. Yes it gets to be a bit much but as I fly more I will be getting rid of things I don't need and possibly adding more.
Sometimes things need to be said, Other times things must be done.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Regardless of what type of bag I pick up I seem to keep going back to the Lunada. It's the right size to hold the items and gear I feel are important. From a quick trip to the store to if I were suddenly on foot for some reason in some type of situation. Not a BOB or GHB but I think it would do a very good job in a 72-hour scenario.

I've got my IFAK that ranges from boo-boo care to stop-the-bleed items. Includes a small mirror and scissors. Has my Sawyer mini-filter with back flush syringe. Power bank with attachments for charging various items including my Apple watch. Daily items from travel size floss to chapstick to bandana to compressed towels of various sizes. Extra batteries and extra flashlight and a tactical pen. Some other odds and ends like eye glass cleaner and hand sanitizer and hand wipes.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

David wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:26 am Image

My wife and I were shopping a few days ago and I saw this sling bag at TJ MAX for $16.99. Like the look so I picked it up to try out. It's been working well and is quite comfortable. It is slightly smaller and not as wide as the Maxpedition Lunada pictured above, which is fine. It isn't as rugged as the Maxpedition of course, but for out-and-about it should be fine. And it's more 'grey man' that the Lunada which isn't a bad thing at all. I'll continue to use the Maxi Lunada for normal day-to-day and use the one above for more dressy/formal occasions.

Holds my IFAK, Maxpedition Pocket Organizer with a few things, battery charger pack and cables and attachments, Sawyer water filter and a few other odd-n-ends I like to have handy.
I found that during the summer I tended to not carry my Maxpedition Lundada and simply left it in the car. It's rugged, it holds everything I think I'd need but it is on the large side and during the summer heat just isn't the most comfortable thing to carry. So I've gone back to the bag pictured above and left the Lundada in the vehicle for a back up bag.

My main concerns were having an IFAK/trauma kit on or near me at all times when out-and-about. I think it's prudent, particularly if you carry a firearm. But the trick is having something without it being cumbersome or a pain in the butt. My wife likes the above bag better than the Lunada as it's a bit more stylish and definitely more grey man and less tactical looking. It's also smaller, lighter and not as wide. I don't have everything in it that I'd want but then again, a lot of those wants aren't necessarily needs on a daily basis. So it has the IFAK/trauma kit which has a stop-bleed component as well as the more typical boo-boo section. Sawyer water filter which I think is just a really good item to always include. Mainly because when my wife and I go out we often end up in spots we hadn't planned (in a good way). Battery pack with both cables for Android and Apple as well as an Apple watch charging station and both plug and 12v connectors. My Maxpedition pocket organizer, some spare batteries and my Nitecore EA11 and a few other odds-and-ends.

Definitely lighter and more comfortable and with most of the things I want on/around my that I consider practical. The other stuff stays in the vehicle as part of the GHB kit.

Smoke

Post by Smoke »

Embark Jartop Elite. According to their website it's 49 liters.

I work in an empty warehouse. The owners moved to a new facility two years ago. After they left they had a cleaning company go through the building and get rid of everything the employees left behind.

The backpack was sitting empty on top of the pile. I took it home and washed it and I've been using it since. The main compartment is full of winter clothing because it's been known to snow in JUNE here. Everything else is just possibles that I carry to and from work daily.