Why did you chose your EDC pistol/revolver?

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

Why did you chose your EDC pistol/revolver?

Post by David »

What do you carry as your EDC pistol/revolver, and why?

This year I made the change to the Sig P365. I waited over a year for them to get the bugs worked out of the initial run of 365's. Seems they finally got it all worked out and it's a solid pistol now. The term 'game-changer' is often over-used in the firearms world, however, in this instance it seems to be a viable label. The pistol itself is smaller than the Ruger LC9 or Glock 43. Maybe close to the size of a Glock 42 but IIRC, it is slightly smaller still. Yet it holds 10 rounds standard with 12 and 15 round OEM mags available. Available with or without a manual thumb safety and the non-thumb safety model is easily converted to the thumb safety model if desired. Although the three parts seem to always be on back order due to popularity.

Comes standard with X-ray night sights.

I would very much like to see Sig offer different colored grip frame modules for the 365 like they do with the 250/320 series.

Although I was very much satisfied with my previous off-duty carry, the Glock 26, I made the change because the 365 is smaller, thinner and lighter thus more comfortable to carry all day. Particularly in the summer heat of Florida.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Re: Why did you chose your EDC pistol/revolver?

Post by Ronin.45 »

I have had a dozen carry guns over the years. My main concerns are quality and "carryability".
For quality I mean reliable, accurate, and shootable. Carryability means I'll actually put it on every time I leave the house.
A few years ago I settled on the G43. I can carry it in any of my preferred methods. Including pocket carry. It had good Ameriglo night sights from the factory and a basic trigger job made it very shootable. I prefer flush mags and don't top off tiny guns so six rounds is my limit which I'm perfectly comfortable with.
There are some new designs like the 365 and possibly the Hellcat that are real innovations, but don't offer enough advantage for me to change my entire platform.
ratf51
Board Founder

Post by ratf51 »

I have been using a G23 (4th Gen) for probably 6 or more years. Reasons for choosing it: 1. Compatibility-- I had a G22 already, so commonality of ammo and the 23 can take the 22 mags. Same manual of arms. Some overlap of holsters. 2. Acceptable size-- because I was going for ammo compatibility there was only so small I wanted to go with it being 40S&W. 3. 4th Gen-- I was never fond of the 23s prior to the 4th gen guns with the dual recoil spring. My son's purchase of a G27 made me realize the difference the recoil spring could make. Also, the adjustable grip size of the 4th gen was appealing. I have shortish, thick fingers and hands. The smallest size of the grip works much better than the standard size for me.

With all that said I am rethinking what I use. As age creeps up and some "Arthur" gets into my hands I am considering shifting the EDC to a P365. Will have to save up my money or sell some blood or something.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I handle pretty much every gun that interests me when in a gun store.

I went for "carriablity" in a 9mm package. My short list had always included: HK P2000sk, HK P7, Walther PPS and a few others.

When I saw a PP2M1 come up in pawn shop for $250 I jumped on it.

I have a G23, and could honestly carry my Browning if I wanted, etc. I just prefer basic small 9mm, with a key factor being I want my pinky on the grip.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

ratf51 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:30 am I have been using a G23 (4th Gen) for probably 6 or more years...With all that said I am rethinking what I use. As age creeps up and some "Arthur" gets into my hands I am considering shifting the EDC to a P365. Will have to save up my money or sell some blood or something.
I carried a Gen 3 Glock 23 for quite a few years. For some reason, the Glock 23 always appealed to me, ever since they first came out. I never got around to getting one until like 20 years later. Only thing I didn't like was the finger grooves. Never liked them on any Glock compact. Full size and sub-compact was doable for some reason but the G19/23/32 size just never seemed comfortable to me. I had to get one of those grip wraps that filled in between the grooves but after a while it seemed like they would start slipping. If Glock comes out with a Gen 5 G23 I will be sorely tempted to get one. Just because. I like the Gen 5 G19 so I know the G23 would fill the ticket quite nicely.

But yeah, now that the 365 seems to be bug free (we all hope :lol: ) it checks a lot of boxes.
Ronin.45 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:03 am A few years ago I settled on the G43.
I don't remember if you carry a spare mag or not, but I never understood why they didn't make the 43X/48 10-round mags to fit the G43? To me it would have made the G43 a lot more attractive. I liked the one I had but just couldn't get past the 6-round mag and didn't really trust the various + base plates. But as far as the pistol itself, it's solid and I did like the one I had.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

I don't carry a spare mag EDC. If I'm on a cross country road trip I'll carry in my sling bag and have a spare because I'm far from home. I've always been of the mindset to prepare for the most common situations e.g. mugging, carjacking, assault. I feel capable of handling any of those scenarios with 6 or less. I don't carry a gun that's not reliable and don't worry that a reliable gun or mag will suddenly fail when I need it. Knowing myself, and general human nature, the bigger a pain in the ass something is, the less likely I am to do it. If I need to carry a second item(mag) the gun is heavier, or too bulky, I'm less likely to actually carry it. Working as an instructor and in gun shops/ranges for the last 15 years has shown me that most people who carry a gun bigger than about Glock 26 size usually don't have it on them when you ask. It's simply too inconvenient for them to hassle with thus leaving them unprotected instead of better protected like they intended with the larger gun in the first place.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Well, I don't think James Bond ever reloaded and all he had was 6 so I guess you're gold :D

Of course, his Walther PPK had a delivery like a brick through a plate glass window.

Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

I watched the original Death Wish a few days ago and was amazed how powerful Bronson's 32 Colt revolver was
Gnepig
Board Founder

Post by Gnepig »

2 Sig P938s/ 9mm= out of all of the little guns that I/we handled/ fired at the range, that one felt the best in the hand. It was the most comfortable (with the mag/grip extension), the most accurate for myself and the wife and best of all fits in the front pocket so well I don't notice it's there. We both love the grip and the night sites are awesome.
The G26 felt like a big heavy chunk in the pocket and stuck out like a soar thumb so much that I frequently put it in my toolbox at work and left it there for days. don't get me wrong, I liked the G26 for a lot of reasons just not for a carry piece. The little Sig, it goes everywhere unnoticed. I even carry the extra mag in a cargo pocket.
The wife and I both have one for continuity.

The downside, they where expensive as are the spare mags...

Last edited by Gnepig on Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
... Just a Dude...
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Gnepig wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:40 am The little Sig, it goes everywhere unnoticed. I even carry the extra mag in a cargo pocket.
Gene, get one of those Ammo Armor mag cases! $9.99 and protects the mag when you carry it in the pocket.

https://ammo-armor.com/sig-sauer/sig-sauer-p938/