UTVs

The section for discussion on all things involving transportation; vehicles, boats, planes and more.
Mac66
Board Founder

Re: UTVs, the saga continues

Post by Mac66 »

When I went riding on the UTV with my brother we had to stop several times to discuss the route. These UTVs are very loud and you have to turn off the engine to be heard. Not to mention having to shout at your passenger to be heard while moving.

I bought some FRS radios that hook to my ear muffs

Update....Moved this to the communications thread

https://www.sepboard.us/viewtopic.php?p=11994#p11994
Last edited by Mac66 on Sun Jun 23, 2024 4:44 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Mac66
Board Founder

Re: UTVs

Post by Mac66 »

Sunday 6/21

Rode the UTV today and burned out a drive belt.

I had intended to change the oil and replace the belt when I bought this used Utv, just haven't got to it yet. Now I have to.
Last edited by Mac66 on Sun Jun 23, 2024 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I've been up at the woods house for a week. Came up before the 4th and staying until next week. Family came up for the 4th of July weekend but went home either Sunday or Monday.

I did change the oil and belt on the utv before the 4th. It is sort of a convoluted process on these cheap Chinese crap (CCC) machines.

Took me several trips to youtube to figure it out. Then it was not an easy process but I got 'er done.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Just did a 74 mile Fun Fest ride in the county where my woods house is. See the fun fest post. Probably 50 miles were on back/dirt roads the other was on the state trail system. Since it had rained for two days before the trails were really, really muddy.

I was pleasantly surprised the CCC worked as well as it did. It zoomed along quite nicely on the back roads and went through every mud hole without a hiccup. When it started raining in the afternoon it was fairly dry inside the cab with the top, windshield and back window in place. Considering it was a used machine that sat outside the first three years of its life by its first owner it didn't break or have any problem whatsoever.

The only problem with it is that it so loud inside that it makes your ears ring. I wore shooting earmuffs while riding but am looking at putting sound deadening material under the engine cowling and around the muffler. You basically sit above and next to the engine and there is a plastic cowling between the passengers and the engine.

The other thing is the 471 cc engine is underpowered. it's rated at 24 hp. It''s okay most of the time since you're driving off road at slow speeds. You can put it in low gear. But road riding has a lot of be desired. It just doesn't go very fast. There were some dirt roads on the trail system where I had the pedal to the medal and was going 27 mph. Granted the roads were pretty slushy with mud. I could do about 37 on packed roads or blacktop which it fast enough for these machines.

Other than that I am happy with it. It worked really well.