New 18650 owner

Flashlights, lanterns, torches and anything that sheds a little light for your path.
Bob
Board Founder

New 18650 owner

Post by Bob »

Not by choice. Was checking gear and found out my flashlight on my AR Pistol Go Bag was dead. Turns out the Coast light on there is a rechargeable 18650.

Just got my Amazon Charger, which came with a battery also. We'll see how this goes.

I'm getting a little weary/leary of all the rechargeable stuff.

- Can't just reload a battery when needed, especially if battery is not accessible (like my little pistol O-Light).
+ Can recharge batteries (if accessible) with easy solar in SHTF if batteries are not available
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Re: New 18650 owner

Post by Ronin.45 »

I have one 18650 modlite that I barely use because it's not a standard battery for me.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Well, the COast light it is in, is pretty good. And, now I have two batteries - one from the light and one with the charger. We'll see.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Response to Bob and the 18650 rechargeable.

I came to a decision point to deal with rechargeables:
1. Every flashlight, communication device, controller, game camera, motion detector I owned eventually became capable of using rechargeable batteries.
2. Rechargeable batteries could be charged hundreds of times and alkaline batteries not at all.
3. There was still a place or need for some alkaline batteries.

The three game cameras in the backyard took 8 batteries each. 24 batteries total So, making up a number, should I buy 24 batteries every year or buy rechargeables just once.

Gosh. I have radios that take 4 batteries each. I don't leave the radios or flashlights with batteries sitting in them if I can avoid it. Alkalines leak. My experience is that rechargeables don't leak. So the few units that must have batteries in them and not just in a ziplock baggie nearby have rechargeables.

18650 batteries. 2 kinds. Flat end and non flat end. Some devices will handle both types. Some handle only one type. A one AA battery flashlight costs less than a one battery 18650 flashlight. Which one has a better and longer lasting beam . . 18650. But, say you get confused. You can get an insert for your flashlight that is the size of the 18650 battery, but which uses either alkaline or rechargeable smaller batteries.

There are quality rechargers today that monitor the charge put into a rechargeable battery and will automatically cut off the charge so the battery is not overfilled.

I wrote earlier this year. Relative got married. Wanted a flashlight in every room in their remote house in the hills, wanted a flashlight in each car.
If they went the alkaline route, they could not leave batteries in the flashlights. So, they received the flashlights, AA and 18650, rechargers that would handle AA/AAA and 18650 batteries and cut off when recharged. If they do not charge the batteries, they will last 10 years. If they do charge them, they will be able to recharge them for the next ten years without buying any more batteries.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I am a fan of rechargeables overall
- With the exception of odd/non-replaceables.

I know rechargeable AAA, and AA very well. This 18650 is just a new beast.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Like so many people, I end up with piles of things.

18650 - two different kinds. Some devices work with one or the other. Some devices work with both.

Instead of putting a 18650 battery in a device that requires the same, you can put a plastic insert which which contain smaller batteries, either akaline AA or AAA (can't remember which) or recchargeables.

The recharging units can handle either 2 or 4 18650s. I started with the 2 unit recharger, with the feature of cutting off when fully recharged. When I bought more 18650 battery units, I switched to 4 unit rechargers and gave away the 2 unit rechargers. Avoid danger and avoid any recharger for any battery type that does not cut off when a battery is fully recharged. As an aside, the I got an 8 unit aa/aaa recharger with cut off when they became available and now have given away some of the smaller unit rechargers.

Many of the better outdoor, motion detector nightlights take the 18650 battery. I purchased top of line units that allow 18650 battery replacements.

Years ago, when the first rechargeables came out, I tried to make the conversion. However, the rechargers were generally krap and I had to give away the rechargeable batteries and chargers. The situation is greatly improved now. As an example, my new AT and T home phones take rechargeables and they are automatically recharged. If a battery gets worn down, I simply replace the battery when it becomes unreliable. The t.v. controllers take replaceable rechargeable batteries.

Most computers now take 18650 wired in batteries. I tried to salvage one a couple of years ago and blew the lap top.

Humor of the day. There is a former CIA employee (there are a lot of them) who makes a living off you-tube by telling tricks of the trade and selling things. One of them is/was a $56 aluminum baseball bat like flashlight. Ok. It had his logo on it. Well, we both know that he buys the items in bulk from the PRC. So, I went on line and bought the unit for $11! That will go in the car with the homemade, cast iron water pipe replica of a Filipino escrima stick built from off the shelf parts in Home Depot. .