Deer Blinds 2024

The section for hunting, fishing, camping, hiking and all of our outdoor adventures. This section includes gardening and the harvesting of game and other edibles.
Mac66
Board Founder

Deer Blinds 2024

Post by Mac66 »

Finally go around to putting a deer blind together from wood crates I picked up free last fall. I also picked up some 4'x5' pallets I'm going to use as a stand to set the blind on.

This is what I started with...

The crates are something like 26" deep and 45" square. They are too shallow to stack in order to stand up in. However the tops being 45" square are just tall enough on top of the 26" deep crate (71") to stand up in so I used four tops as the walls for the upper part. In fact it was the upper picture which gave me the idea to use the tops as walls. The roof is sheet metal siding scraps from my steel barn building. As shown it is about 5' off the ground sitting on the pallets.

I then took it down and cut the door and windows.

I still need to put hinges and a latch on the door as well as windows. Probably going to fab up some sliding plexi-glass windows. And I need to paint/stain the outside. Will also need stairs.

The lower windows are for sitting down so I'm probably also going to put portholes in the upper section to look out of when standing up inside.

I'm no engineer so this was a learning experience. I changed the design several times and took it apart to change things. Once I get this one done I have enough crates to make 2 more blinds. It should be easier to make the next ones and they will probably just sit on the ground or maybe blocks or small pallets.
Mac66
Board Founder

Re: Deer Blinds 2024

Post by Mac66 »

Made some progress on the deer blind this week. You would think all you'd have to do is stick two boxes together but no...takes a lot of figuring and engineering and making it up as you go. And work, just spent 5 days working on it. Oh, and except for the screws, hardware, stain/paint, everything else is scrap material I had laying around or picked up free. I've got about $100 invested so far in screws and stain/paint but some of that can be used on the next blind.

Done Initially...
-Made the blind
-Made the base
-Made the roof
-Cut the window openings
-Cut the door opening

This past week
-Cut small window openings higher up to see out of when standing
-Installed hinges and latch in the door
-Stained/painted the base and blind
-Built a platform out of a pallet and two pine poles
-Made stairs
-Stained the stairs (not shown)

To Do...
-The window framing and windows.
-Put railings on the stairs (its actually kind of scary walking up the stairs with no railings. I kind of have an idea figured out how to do it.
-Stain/paint the inside
-Figure out where to put it
-Prep and level the spot
-Move the sections to the spot
-Erect and level the sections
-Secure the whole thing to the ground

The whole thing is in 4 sections, the blind, base, platform and stairs. Thank goodness I have a tractor to lift and move it.

The next one will be easier to put together