Deal Alert Thread

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
Mac66
Board Founder

Re: Deal Alert Thread

Post by Mac66 »

tom mac wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:08 am
bdcochran wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:39 pm hardtack. The cost is cheap, basically the cost of flour, salt, water and some low oven heat over a cold evening.
you have an easy recipe??... going to try and make some then seal up on canning jars with O2 depleters
I have a round cookie cutter that will fit jars well.
I was thinking the same thing....I found this recipe online. Pretty simple. All the recipes I found were basically the same.

https://breaddad.com/hardtack-recipe/
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

BTW, my MREs/HMRs are supposed to be delivered today.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Mine arrived last night. Haven't had a chance to look them over yet. But good delivery time.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

I realize that the membership is older and have a lot of experience in researching food. Over the years, I was surprised by what I learned and randomly, I pass some things on.

1. pound for pound, rice has fewer calories than wheat bread.
2. in WW2, Japanese soldiers were supposed to cook individually or in groups. this was in contrast to US troops with kitchens to the front or canned rations. surprisingly, to me, cooked rice can handled for days and not go bad. i saw this in SE Asia as well, many years ago.
3. hardtack was the ration of practicality for thousands of years. Napoleon initiated the movement to non hardtack rations with his contest for the public to come up with a way of preserving food safely. the US continued to issue hardtack through the Spanish-American War.
4. if shtf AND you are going to be static, have lots of water, lots of heat source to prepare food, no concerns about clean up or time, you can make bread. During the German-Austrian wars of the mid 19th century, the larger, more prepared German army had a big problem. it was issuing cooked bread to the troops, not hardtack or rice. The logistics involved were a tremendous problem.
5. there is no food item that is complete within itself. I bought into "year's supply of food" bit many years ago. In came the wheat berries. Now, figure out how to grind them, how to make bread, yatta yatta. I bought into the concept in my '30's. Now I am at the end of my 70's. Just go buy some cheap, refined flour, salt and a cookie cutter. Spend a few cold winter evenings with the gas stove going and make some hardtack. If shtf, heat up a cup of coffee, crumble the piece of hardtack into the same. Let your neighbor grind the wheat berries, bake bread and go out in the cold to hunt his deer.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I received my MRE/HDR order from Amazon today. I opened it up but didn't taste it yet. Please feel free to add when/if you get and open yours up.

I posted an initial review of it in the Basic Necessities/food section
Erich

Post by Erich »

Kahr CT9 $198!!!

dahlonegaarmory.com/product/kahr-arms-ct9-double-9mm-3.6-71-black-polymer-grip-stainless-steel?gd

www.shootingillustrated.com/content/rev ... bon-fiber/

gunsmagazine.com/discover/kahrs-black-carbon-beauties/

I've had two (or three?) Kahrs and they all worked great, but just weren't perfect for me. But for $200?! I was thinking: this is basically the Glock 48 but with a slightly thinner gripframe, an 8-round magazine and a non-reversible magazine release. Oh, and a [s]better[/s] smoother/more-DA-feeling trigger.

It's a phenomenal deal for the right person.
Mac66
Board Founder

60% off sale @ tacticon armament

Post by Mac66 »

While searching for some tactical gear I ran across tacticon armament's 60% off spring sale. I don't know much about them but they sell on Amazon cheaper than on their website but the 60% off sale is way cheaper still.

I ended up buying a belt and some mag pouches to try out.

https://tacticon.com
Mac66
Board Founder

Plastic ammo cans-Habor Freight

Post by Mac66 »

Just a heads up that the 30 cal plastic ammo cans are going on sale over the weekend starting Friday Apr 12-15 at HF for $2.96+tax each. Normally $6 ea. These are really good for a lot of things. I last posted these back in Feb of 2020 when they were going for $2.99. That may have been the last time I bought any.

I break down cases of ammo in them, which makes them lighter and easier to carry than those heavy 50 cal metal cans for grab and go.

I also use them as first aid kits, for Baofeng radios, tool kits etc etc. I have one or more in all my vehicles. Stackable, water tight and lockable.

Having just inventoried my ammo stash, I'm probably going to buy some more this weekend they are so handy.

BTW, that plastic can holds 133 12 ga shells
Last edited by Mac66 on Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

I will have to stop by there and pick up a few.