Glock thread

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
JDH

Re: Glock thread

Post by JDH »

Bob wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:39 am So I'm seeing some Gen2 Glocks show up as LEO trade ins. Any downside to grabbing one of these???
Change all the springs,including the magazines, give it a good deep cleaning while you have it apart and you should be good to go.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

2018, retired Law Enforcement Officer Stephen Mayes’ P320 fired un-commanded while seated in its holster, causing severe injury to his right leg.

116. In August 2019, Philadelphia Transit Officer Craig Jacklyn’s P320 fired un- commanded while fully-holstered, nearly striking a bystander in the subway concourse. The incident was captured on video, and the officer was returned to duty the next day.

117. The transit authority replaced all Sig Sauer P320s, and later fully exonerated the officer of any alleged wrongdoing in view of the content of the videotape of the incident showing that it fired without a trigger pull.

119. On October 10, 2019, Officer Jacques Desrosiers, also of the Cambridge, Massachusetts, Police Department, was shot by his P320 without him pulling the trigger. The round caused massive and life-changing injuries to Officer Desrosiers. The spent casing of the round did not eject.

121. On November 9, 2019, a P320 fired un-commanded on Officer Matthew Gardette of the Manteca, California, Police Department as he was getting ready for work. As he merely attempted to place and fasten his duty belt around his waist, the P320 discharged inside the holster.

123. On December 2, 2019, a P320 fired un-commanded while in the possession of Detective David Albert, also of the Cambridge, Massachusetts, Police Department, as he was in the process of putting his duty belt on.

125. On February 15, 2020, Pasco County Florida Sheriff’s Deputy David Duff was injured when his P320 discharged without him pulling the trigger while the gun was in its holster on his duty belt.

126. On February 27, 2020, Tampa Police Department Reserve Officer Howard Northrop was severely and permanently injured when his service-issued P320 discharged without a trigger pull, while inside his service-issued holster.

128. On April 15, 2020, Yakima, Washington, Police Officer Nathan Henyan was injured when his P320 discharged from within its holster without him pulling the trigger.

131. On July 14, 2020, Milwaukee Police officer Adam Maritato was injured when his partner’s duty-issued P320 discharged from within its holster while the two were attempting to detain a suspect.

134. On September 21, 2020, a P320 fired un-commanded while in the possession of Deportation Officer Keith Slatowski of Immigration and Customs Enforcement during a training exercise in New Castle, Delaware.

135. Slatowski’s P320 fired while in its holster, and the casing did not eject.

136. Slatowski was severely wounded and has not been able to return to duty since the
accident as of the date of this filing.

137. On November 9, 2020, Tampa Police Officer Jerry Wyche was injured when his holstered P320 discharged without him pulling the trigger as he was getting out of his police vehicle.

138. On December 8, 2020, ICE Agent Catherine Chargualaf was injured when her P320 discharged from within its holster without her pulling the trigger during a training exercise.

139. On January 23, 2021, civilian Timothy Davis was injured when his Sig Sauer P320 X-Carry discharged in its holster without a trigger pull.

142. On June 2, 2021, Troy, New York Police Officer Michael Colwell suffered permanent injuries when his P320 discharged in his holster during a training exercise while his hands were not touching the gun.

146. On November 29, 2021, Atlantic County Prosecutor’s Office Detective James Scoppa suffered severe tinnitus when his holstered P320 discharged without him pulling the trigger while he was inside of his car.

147. On December 5, 2021, ICE Agent Mary Doffeny suffered severe emotional harm when her duty-issued P320 discharged from within a dedicated compartment in her purse.

148. Ms. Doffeny’ s incident was caught on video, which clearly shows the gun going off without her pulling the trigger.

150. On February 7, 2022, Honesdale, Pennsylvania, Police Officer Donald Thatcher’s P320 discharged from its holster while he was exiting his car.

151. Officer Thatcher’s incident was captured on video, which clearly shows that Officer Thatcher’s hands were not touching his holster at the time the P320 discharged.

155. On March 28, 2022, Houston, Texas, Police Sergeant Marvin Reyes’s P320 discharged from its holster while he was entering his car.

156. Sergeant Reyes’ incident was captured on video, which unmistakably shows that Sergeant Reyes’s hands were not near his holster at the time the P320 discharged.

159. On September 10, 2022, a Milwaukee Police Officer’s holstered P320 discharged while the officer was attempting to detain a suspect.

Here's a sampler of the Glock scorecard :

Since D.C. police began carrying the Glock handgun in February 1989, accidental discharges have resulted in the following injuries:
Feb. 2, 1989: Officer assigned to armorer's office shoots self in fingers while unloading gun during test-firing.

Sept. 19, 1989: Officer suffers lacerations when bullet ricochets off wall in 7th District station.

Oct. 10, 1989: Two-year-old daughter of D.C. police officer dies after shooting self in head with her father's pistol.

March 25, 1990: Juvenile removes gun from officer's briefcase, shoots self in hand.

May 31, 1990: Officer injures finger and left arm at 2nd District station.

Sept. 21, 1990: Officer shoots self in upper right thigh while unholstering gun.

Oct. 27, 1990: Gun goes off while officer struggles with suspect, striking suspect in back of head.

Nov. 1, 1990: Suspect grabs officer's gun, bullet strikes another officer in chest.

Dec. 5, 1990: Officer shoots self in right foot after husband bumps her while she unloads gun at home.

Feb. 7, 1991: Officer shoots self in stomach after he stumbles while chasing drug suspects.

May 23, 1991: Officer shoots 18-year-old in back after slipping while serving search warrant.

Aug. 8, 1991: Officer shoots unarmed man in chest during drug arrest.

Sept. 6, 1991: Officer shoots self in hand at home.

Jan. 24, 1992: Officer shoots self in thigh while holstering gun.

March 13, 1992: Officer shoots self in hand and knee at home.

April 14, 1992: Officer shoots self in thigh while unloading gun at home.

April 21, 1992: Officer shoots self in hand while holstering gun at home.

March 10, 1993: Officer fires through floor of her apartment, hitting resident below in thigh and ankle.

April 4, 1993: Officer shoots self in forearm while unloading gun at home.

April 20, 1993: Officer shoots another officer in foot after removing magazine when bullet ricochets at 2nd District station.
Aug. 17, 1993: Officer shoots another officer in finger when gun goes off in holster as he exits patrol car.

Jan. 28, 1994: Officer shoots another officer in stomach while handling gun inside department headquarters.

Feb. 2, 1994: Officer shoots roommate in groin inside their apartment. April 13, 1994: Officer shot in leg when gun goes off during struggle with suspect.

June 17, 1994: Officer shot in stomach by his wife at their home.

July 15, 1994: Officer fatally shoots driver in head during traffic stop.

Nov. 9, 1994: Officer shoots self in the right leg while approaching suspect.

Dec. 6, 1994: Officer shoots suspect in lower back, says gun went off when suspect grabbed it.

Feb. 6, 1995: Officer shoots suspect accidentally during arrest.

Nov. 15, 1995: Officer shot in buttocks.

May 26, 1996: Three-year-old daughter of officer shoots self in head.

Aug. 21, 1996: Officer shoots girlfriend in stomach after struggle over his gun.

Nov. 7, 1997: Officer shot in upper left thigh.

Source: MPD police reports, Use of Service Weapon Review Board records CAPTION: Officer Glenn Shaw fires his Glock at the D.C. police shooting range, and the gun ejects a shell casing. The Glock 17 fires far more easily than most other handguns and can shoot 18 bullets in nine seconds. ec CAPTION: Officers practice at the police shooting range. The administration of Chief Charles H. Ramsey is pushing officers to train more with their weapons; for several years, most officers ignored requirements that they requalify at the firing range twice a year. ec CAPTION: Accidental Discharge of Police Weapons, 1989-1998 ec

Negligence is not specific to any one make of gun.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

So if I read the article correct (the second article) the lawsuit is based on the fact that Glocks do not have an external safety and not that the gun malfunctioned.

SO, if that is true, he pulled the trigger, shot himself while installing a light, and now wants someone else to pay for his stupide of not keeping his finger off the trigger.

If the gun malfunctioned, that is one thing. You being stupid and pulling the trigger is another.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bmyers wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:17 am So if I read the article correct (the second article) the lawsuit is based on the fact that Glocks do not have an external safety and not that the gun malfunctioned.

SO, if that is true, he pulled the trigger, shot himself while installing a light, and now wants someone else to pay for his stupide of not keeping his finger off the trigger.

If the gun malfunctioned, that is one thing. You being stupid and pulling the trigger is another.
You are correct.

I posted the above as a point of reference for me in regards to the lawsuit being settled out of court. I've been in numerous Sig P320 discussions recently. Most folks realize that the 'issues' with the P320 are media-generated as well as ambulance chasing lawyers. But a few are either ignorant of the actual media-induced drama or are simply brand-biased against Sig and try to make the 'issues' something they aren't...real.

One of the points they try to bring up is that Sig has settled some lawsuits prior to Discovery and they thing that means something negative against Sig. So I explain to them that, to date, Sig has lost zero lawsuits, have had suits dismissed against them and yes, a few were settled. But settling out of court doesn't imply guilt. It is a standard practice in big business if they feel it's cheaper to settle than drag out a court case even when they know they will win. Glock has done the same thing which is why I linked the article above for reference should another discussion come up.

Usually the conversation goes something like this...

"Well Glock has never settled a case"

"Yes they have, here's the link"

*Crickets chirping as they quietly leave the thread

Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

I just love dealing with lawyers. Unfortunately at the company we work, sometimes it is cheaper to settle the case than to go through the whole process and win, but still have all the legal fees. Now, if you could make the losing party pay all your fees, then that would be different and is limited suit types that allow that to occur.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

David wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:57 am Well, ordered a 9mm conversion barrel for the G35 this morning. From a vendor that gets stock overrun from various companies like Lone Wolf. It's a SS barrel, made by a company that use to make barrels for Lone Wolf and may or may not be marked with the Lone Wolf logo. $110 OTD. So I'll run it through it's paces when it arrives along with the 40S&W barrel.
Reading through the thread and realized I never updated on the 9mm conversion barrel It arrived just fine and it was more accurate than the G34.4 I had at the same time (and later sold off). Functioned with the 9mm barrel flawlessly.

Haven't really looked too hard for a 357sig barrel for it but I suppose if I came across a deal to good to pass up I'd get one. For right now I'm satisfied to have it as a 2-in-1 pistol.

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Any issues/comments on a Glock G17 Gen 4?

Project Gun...