Another good book: To Hell and Back

The place to gather and chat about any and all topics not covered elsewhere on the board.
Mac66
Board Founder

Another good book: To Hell and Back

Post by Mac66 »

To Hell and Back by Audi Murphy

In case you live in a cave Murphy was the most decorated soldier of WWII and some would argue in the history of the US military. He was a Medal of Honor recipient. Went on to be a movie star after the war and was tragically killed in a plane crash in 1971 at the age of 45.

Caught a brief part of the movie supposedly based on the book in which he starred as himself. Stopped watching and downloaded the book from my library instead to read first. I then went back and watched the movie.

First, the book. Supposed to be an autobiography of Murphy's life but it starts pretty much when he enlists in the army at age 18 though he was probably 17. He had a co-writer, more than likely who actually wrote the book. It doesn't read like a autobiography or a memoir. Reads more like a novel told in the first person. Kind of like, "this is my story as told to" kind of thing. The dialog is non stop banter and is actually pretty funny at least until all the guys/characters he served with were either killed or wounded.

The film is more of a biography. First his upbringing in poverty, his stint in the army leading up to earning the Medal of Honor deeds. Fairly short movie so they skip along quickly. He is portrayed as the ever diligent, thoughtful, stoic, resourceful leader as he makes his way from private, corporal, sergeant then lieutenant.

In the book he is funny and pretty much the last guy standing i.e, the lone survivor of his platoon from fighting through Sicily, Italy, France, Belgium and into Germany. Along the way he was wounded 3 or 4 times, was down with malaria several times, won multiple bronze and silver stars and finally the MOH along with every other medal given out during that war by every country he fought in. His medal feats are not really highlighted in the book. He describes what he did in a mater of fact way, just doing what he had to do or rather the author describes it that way.

In the movie, he and the actors playing his squad are way to old to be soldiers. He was in his 30s when the movie was made, other actors seem to be about the same age and they are too clean. In fact he was only 19 when he earned the MOH. Prior to the MOH, most of the guys he served with were late teens, early 20s in the war. After that all were green replacement troops.

Bottom line, if you want to read a good, entertaining book read To Hell and Back but skip the movie. That book would still make a helluva movie or series every bit as compelling as Band of Brothers if done right.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Re: Another good book: To Hell and Back

Post by Bmyers »

It interesting learning about his life.