Long Driving

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
Mac66
Board Founder

Re: Long Driving

Post by Mac66 »

bdcochran wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:39 pm More power to Mac66. I can't do that kind of driving. My father could. In his 80's he would drive 800 miles non stop. I didn't get his driving genes. I stop every 45 minutes.
Well...it helps to have a quiet and comfortable car. We took the little Buick suv this time, it's just okay. And it helps to have something to listen to i.e. music or audio books.

Been driving a full size Ford Taurus which is smoother riding, quieter and more comfortable to drive. It's a 2016 and was my dad's. I bought it from him after he had a stroke that same year. We eventually gave it to my daughter but usually borrow it back to drive to Florida. Needed a water pump so we drove the Buick instead. Not near as comfortable, quiet or smooth riding but it's okay compared to some past cars. Gas millage in the Taurus is about the same or better than the Buick. Taurus has a 6 cylinder, Buick has a 4 so go figure.

I do think my F150 is quieter and more comfortable/smoother than the Buick, but the gas mileage sucks on it and it has close to 150k miles on it.
Last edited by Mac66 on Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Got home from Florida this evening at 9:36 pm. Left at 4:50 am this morning. Just under 17 hours. About 1270 miles. It rained all the way through Florida into central Georgia but clear and dry the rest of the way home. No slowdowns at all. Made good time. Averaged 31 mpg. Gas averaged $3.09/gallon though it was only $2.88 at Buc Ees in KY. About $126 in gas for this trip. As usual we brought a thermos of coffee and packed our own food to eat in the car along the way. My wife has it down to a science now. We listened to an audio book the whole way home which makes the ride easier.
Last edited by Mac66 on Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Glad you had a safe trip home
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Not withstanding a record of driving for over 60years, I am a poor driver. Went to Las Vegas on Thursday and back on Saturday night - family business.
1. Did close to 60 mph the portions on the freeways, even when the limit was 70 - didn't want to pass anyone. Took the Old Spanish Trail in parts where the posted speed limit was 15 mph.
2. The way back was all freeway. Scary when it rained because people were doing 80 mph at night.

The key for me was keeping well rested and taking breaks on the way back.

At my age, my dad was able to drive 800 miles in a day. I can't do that.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Oh, I forgot to mention. At my age, a relative, an MD, drove in rainy weather and killed two people. It was his fault.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Knowing ones limits and accepting them are a wise thing and speaks to your character.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I don't drive as fast as I used to. Pretty much stick to the speed limit and use my cruise control. It's kinda amazing how fast people drive these days (at least I notice more).

Coming through Ohio (about 4 hours) the speed limit is 65 most of the way on I75, some sections are 70 and some 55. I would say most people drive 80 on it. Coming home on Sunday night in Ohio there were state troopers in the median above every 10 miles. I'm pretty sure they set their radars at least 10 MPH over the limit because I kicked it up to 75 when I saw numerous people blow by me and past the cops. Traffic by then (Sunday evening) was very light.

And we made it through Atlanta on Sunday morning with nary a slow down. Traffic was about the lightest I've seen. Speed limit through Atlanta is 55. Again most people were going 80.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

My wife makes fun of me because I'm one of those that follows the speed limit. I leave early to get to appointments, I don't like to have to rush. I explained that I spent years rushing where seconds and minutes could make a difference. I'm done with that, now I want to setback and enjoy.

Like yourself it appears to me that people have become worse drivers, speeding, running lights, and no respect for anyone else on the road.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

I usu drive at 10 over.... and others still pass me like I'm standing still. Always need a rabbit :)

But then I also mostly do my long driving in the night. I have no issues/problems driving thru the night when traffic is the lowest.
You can't fix stupid !
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

tom mac wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:38 am I usu drive at 10 over.... and others still pass me like I'm standing still. Always need a rabbit :)

But then I also mostly do my long driving in the night. I have no issues/problems driving thru the night when traffic is the lowest.
Going across town to visit my mother I drive on expressways that are 55. Most people do at least 70 on them. I did a survey a couple years ago where I counted the cars who passed me while doing 55 vs the number of cars I passed. The ratio was something like 30:1. Most of the ones I passed were trucks and an occasional slow poke driver. When I kicked my speed up to 60 the ratio went down to about 20 to 1. There are still some people who drive 55 in a 55 but not many. At 65 in a 55 the ratio went down again to about 15:1. At 70 it was about 5:1. On that highway I typically drive 63 mph. At that speed the ratio is still around 15:1 but you pass the slow pokes and trucks. None of those ratios include cars & trucks exiting or entering.

I think one of the factors of the speed on that particular freeway is that it is below street level. It is called "the ditch". It is 3 lanes wide on each side with narrow shoulders and walls on both sides and separating north and southbound lanes. There is no place for the police to sit, run radar so enforcement is virtually nil.

On expressways going up to my woods house I discovered a ratio on those road that were 70 mph the ratio of being passed vs. passing driving the speed limit was 7:1. That varied by time of day and day of the week. Early to Mid day, mid week with light traffic people tended to drive close to the speed limit. On Sunday afternoons coming home from up north people tended to race well over the limit. If I remember the ratio was something like 15:1 and that's with heavy traffic. One freeway the limit is 75. The ratio was 2:1 and sometime 1:1 driving the speed limit.