More land?

The section for hunting, fishing, camping, hiking and all of our outdoor adventures. This section includes gardening and the harvesting of game and other edibles.
Mac66
Board Founder

More land?

Post by Mac66 »

To make a long story short...there was 120 acre farm for sale a couple miles south of my hunting property. The were asking $599K. Looking at the listing I noticed that while 80 acres was open fields, 40 acres were heavily wooded, detached two parcels over and land locked. Looking closer it actually touched the south west corner of my property.

I called the realtor and asked if they would consider selling just the 40. They asked the owners who said yes. I then got permission to walk the land. About 10 acres of it is marsh and unusuable for hunting but the rest was pretty good. I called the realtor when I got back and made a low ball offer. To my surprise it was accepted. We only have a verbal agreement at this point, nothing formal but if the deal goes through I'll be looking at another 40 to tend to.
Mac66
Board Founder

Re: More land?

Post by Mac66 »

Btw ran across a couple big elevated deer blinds on the property.

tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

As to land, that's one thing they don't make more of !
You can't fix stupid !
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Just heard back from the realtor, even though the sellers verbally agreed to the amount, they've since come back with a counter offer I'm not inclined to accept. I may however counter there offer.

Apparently there are three heirs to the property and one of them is having second thoughts.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Well if land - locked and no ROW to property , you have a good shot
You can't fix stupid !
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I countered, they declined, but I let the offer stand if they change their mind. Easy come, easy go.

I don't see that 40 adding value to the farm stead. You can't even get to it from the farm. If anything its holding down the sale of the farm so why not sell it?
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

"As to land, that's one thing they don't make more of !"

Absolutely. As the owner of a wood lot with a running stream that backs up on a state game preserve and manager of a family farm LLC, I give you another perspective. If shtf, my properties will be overrun within a week by desperate hunters and hungry people.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Had a conversation with a neighbor who lives in the area . He told me the story of the farm that's for sale. Apparently the owner was a 55 year old whose kids were grown and gone and his wife died. He went swimming in a local lake and drowned. He didn't have a will and the land has been in probate for the last 5 years. His kids have been fighting over it but finally it was released and they have to sell it.

My neighbor owns 300+ acres including 40 to the east of me and the 40 to the south of me and the 40 to the south east of me and about 200 other acres besides He's in his late 70's and said he's tired of keeping so much land. I asked him if he would sell me his 40 to the south. He said he would consider it. It's pretty much land locked as well except through his land and my land. I probably would have to pay a premium for it but it would make a nice addition to my holdings. I'm not holding my breath waiting for him to sell. owning lots of land is a sickness that's hard to cure.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Bought some land a while back in Va.... so far since the wife refuses to leave here unless I can take all the kids/grandkids.
I've sold one lot so far.
It quadrupled it's value in 10 yrs... so not really complaining. BUT, would rather be living there than NY
You can't fix stupid !