What have you done this week to forward your prepping goals 2023

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
tom mac
Board Founder

Re: What have you done this week to forward your prepping goals 2023

Post by tom mac »

I have a few Yaesu handhelds... I manage to rebuild the packs of two using batteries from online.
Also do this have a 12v input ?? On one I just used the shell to wire up a 12v cord for cigarette lighter plug
You can't fix stupid !
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

It is December. Comments follow each item:

Stored fuel: I rotate the gasoline in December. Safer as most people are indoors and less risk of handling gasoline at a station. I can not lift, hold and transfer gasoline from a politically correct gasoline container into a car. So, I prop the container on an inverted trash can and use a cheap PRC battery operated pump. The pump failed and I ordered two replacements of a different design and with a high approval rating.

Radios: I repack the car trunk in December and will find the portable radio and examine. I routinely examine stored radios at this time of year.

Batteries: I am attempting to finishing the shift o rechargeables. Ordered some in the last month. Stopped purchasing alkalines.

Bills/donations/taxes: I closed out the year. Sending payments on car license renewal/2024 charitable donations/preliminary tax assessments by mail, with cover letters and checks dated January 1, 2024. I never told you how many times my son has complained that he hasn't done his taxes on time. I don't want that stress.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

I am not sophisticated or skilled like Tom Mac.

About 8 years ago, I disposed of aging cb gear and Ham units for which the band had been removed from ham radios.
This week, I have been going through the radio gear, all of which has been indicated as no longer available.
Trying to address questions like can I use rechargeables where originally the unit 8 years ago said use alkaline batteries. Trying to figure out whether I could use individual rechargeables when the manufacturer was originally selling rechargeable battery packs.

Along the way, I obtained some interesting information like how long would the current Midland gmrs/frs last on a set of rechargeable batteries - 26 hours. The technology hasn't changed . . . the urban range is still very short.

At this point, the 6 gmrs/frs units are fine. At least 4 of them will definitely take rechargeables. Not sure on the last two - have to check. However, when a unit needs either 4 or 6 batteries and only goes 26 hours if left on and not subject to a communications protocol, you need a lot of batteries.

Tomorrow, I tackle the car radio. If it is ok, then I have a total of three compatible units. That doesn't seem like many, but I have no family with which to speak.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

I have some units that take AA or AAA batts.... mostly just receivers.
I found these batteriesto work well and retain power for about a year in storage pack ( when I recharge them )
https://power.tenergy.com/tenergy-premi ... nd-12-aaa/

Also packed away is the 60w solar charger from Tenergy
about $100 from amazon. I bought this to run ham camp outings in the field running low powered transceivers ( 7ahr gell cells ), a simple 18v to 13v buck convertor handles the output for the batteries .
Another good tool in the chest.

BTW... not sophisticated...just cheap; as Ill never throw away something that can work if I can mod it.... fiq I have nothing to lose if I screw it up as it was unusable in the first place. :lol:
You can't fix stupid !
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

1. thank you.
2. I ordered a car plug in from BA for the Yaesu.
3. I will write BA about my Motorola unit.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Prob only if you build an external case with a pig-tail plug... ( with indiv batteries ) ( they sell cases ) ... 6-AA rechargeable cells = 7.2v ( 6x 1.2
see other web site

The original battery is 7.2 v ( charges to prob 8.4v )
But most can be rebuilt.... hardest part is opening the case as it's usu "welded"... but it can be done if careful. Then just replacing the cells inside with same ( many places online )
For Li-ion rechargeable batteries, the most common sizes are the 18650 (18mm diameter, 65mm length), the 26650 (26mm diameter, 65mm length), and the 21700 (21mm diameter, 70mm length).

OR... there are many companies that rebuild or sell units that will fit WT

cheapest replacement found was $24
https://www.batterymall.com/a/s/product ... nt-battery
You can't fix stupid !
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Thoughts. The end of the year has been just great!

One of the characteristics of the forum members is that they have an attitude of "just do it". Most people are floaters, just floating through life.

I just went through the communications gear and changed priorities.
1. The FRS gear is secondary. I don't need quick access. It is more designed for a group situation. So, after replacing bad alkaline batteries, it was easy enough to review them. Everything is order.

2. The ham gear is/was a different matter. I did not have rapid access in the car or at home. Every piece of gear was no longer made or supported by the manufacturer. If, it were possible, I wanted to confirm that each radio could handle rechargeable as well as alkaline batteries. Everything is now straightened out and organized.

The solution took some time to work out. The car radio and related accessories will be in a clear plastic box in the trunk. I will otherwise put the rechargeable batteries on a schedule as I do with the game camera batteries.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Acknowledging reality. In meeting the prepping goals, this is what I did not know off the top of my head over the last three days with the radio gear:
1. what gear I had;
2. what gear could take rechargeable and chargeable batteries;
3. whether the gear I had really worked and whether I had all the accessories.

Now I know and had to go through a learning curve.
1. a unit was not charged up and had no ability to take alkalines without buying the parts;
2. I did not have a wall charger for the different models of 2 meter radios and had to buy one unit;
3. I didn't have a precise understanding of how long the units would go on just alkalines. Now I do so a few more battery packs and batteries were ordered.
4. One of the manuals that I had downloaded from the internet years ago was messed up, so I had to download again, and to back up
5. One of the models did not have a printed manual and this was corrected.

Next year, when I check the gear, it will take minimal time.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

One of the things I've done is sort ( like you ) things that need quick access and those that don't.

For 2024, I have to go thru ALL my supplies ...

For now , Quick needs ;
1) in cars
2 in garage
( both locations in clear shoe boxes I stole from the bride )

In House for the not quick needs re electronics ( many I salvaged from local ham fests and got them to work, most were battery issues or programing )
1) extra radios with printed manuals packed away
2) battery packs of Li-ion for made up to 14.4v ( stored at 80% full charge for best longevity )
** reason for the packs are that most of my electronic items have a 12v input
3) old tube transmitter and receiver which operate from 120v ac with inverter
4) old laptop running dos, with loads of doc files ( 12v) and print files

Hardest part of all is the rotation checks / recharge cycles... I have a clip board near house equipment showing the last date I charged ( to remind myself it needs to be done :) )

Now if your waiting for the real SHTF, don't forget to place items in a metal box with foam inside that seals ( or use alum duc tape on edges )
You can't fix stupid !