First Aid Classes

All things first aid related.
bdcochran

First Aid Classes

Post by bdcochran »

I have used cpr and Heimlich. It is time for refresher. So this is what I learned and did.

1. there is a concept with an app called PulsePoint. It is not yet universally available. The concept is to turn trained people into first responders using the app. If there an emergency, you notified of two things: a. where the victim is located and b. where the nearest AED unit is. That is the unit that you see on t.v. when a doctor puts two leads on a victim's chest.
I digress for a minute. Depending upon a state's law, you will find this units on walls in sports gyms, public schools, libraries and government buildings. If you can read quickly, the instructions are right there on how to use it.

2. I learned that I could take a zoom class and not have to go to a specific location and it was free. I have taken a number of medical classes on zoom ... which became popular during Covid 19. My health care provider, Kaiser, uses zoom for consultations with patients.

3. My local community has CERT classes. They are intensive training in first aid. I am way beyond that.

4. 20 years ago, in a medical class under live fire, I was told that there was nothing I could do at that level if I diagnosed a compression injury. Such is no longer the case. First responders, including some police are being given the tools and the training. After I finish the class that I signed up for, I will look for this type of class.
David
Administrator

Re: First Aid Classes

Post by David »

Mac has taken 'Stop the bleed' classes. Sounded like a good course.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I'm probably due for a refreshers in FA, CPR, stop the bleed etc. Been a couple years and I've been spending a lot of time out in the woods cutting trails, trees and fire wood. Just a matter of time before I hurt myself though I'm pretty much done climbing into tree stands and ladders in general. And I've been neglecting having my trauma kits with me. Will dig those out and carry them from now on.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

I keep a small trauma kit in my tractor and in each vehicle. Just never know when you might need it. Also, make sure you add some band aids to the kit. I seem to use band aids out my kit more than anything else, which is a good thing.