Stocking up on ammo

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Stocking up on ammo

Post by Ronin.45 »

When things leveled out after COVID, I watched and waited. Local prices on good 9mm hovered around $12.99 for a year or so. With inflation, that seems to be the new baseline. I don't know if we'll see sub-$10 again.
When prices dipped below that baseline during a sale, I'd buy up a few cases. The best price I've gotten was $11/box for Federal which I consider the best factory ball ammo.
I have also been buying Rimfire as it gets discounted. My current favorite is Aguila Super Extra 40gr CPRN. It runs extremely well in all my guns and is surprisingly accurate in my Tippmann. It's been down around $25/500 recently.
As I've mentioned on here many times previously, I don't consider a broad selection of calibers and scavenging as a valid plan. I want a narrow selection and heavy inventory so I don't have to worry when it gets scarce. In all the shortages of the 21st century, I've been able to wait it out with the ammo I had on hand. Even helping friends when they were running low at times. I have been able to never pay exorbitant prices during a panic.
Talking recently with friends, the subject of "how much" came up. I kind of settled on 8 years. I figure that would get me through a terrible, 2-term administration or a prolonged panic due to most circumstances.
I'm currently sitting on 17k+ 9mm and 35k+ 22lr. That's an 8-10 year supply if I don't slow down my competition schedule. If I cut back a bit during lean times, maybe 12+ years.
I'm comfortable with that, but may still buy if the right deal comes along.

Who else likes to be ready and how much do you think that is?
David
Administrator

Re: Stocking up on ammo

Post by David »

Ronin.45 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:13 pm As I've mentioned on here many times previously, I don't consider a broad selection of calibers and scavenging as a valid plan. I want a narrow selection and heavy inventory so I don't have to worry when it gets scarce. In all the shortages of the 21st century, I've been able to wait it out with the ammo I had on hand. Even helping friends when they were running low at times. I have been able to never pay exorbitant prices during a panic.
I agree that it's a good plan to stock up on ammunition, particularly in the 'good' times. Especially if you train and/or compete. I certainly can't fault your logic with the limited calibers and going deep. I think it's a very valid strategy.

Having said that, I've gone the other direction in the last decade or so. I like pistols that are capable of shooting more than one caliber. Not all of my pistols do, but I have enough that I'm comfortable that I have options. I have one 3-n-1 pistol and three 2-n-1 pistols. I have several 9mm-only and one 40-only. I found that back at the beginning of the recent panic/shortage when 9mm was scarce and at stupid-level prices that I could still pick up 40 and even 357sig at (mostly) normal prices. It didn't stay that way forever but it was more stable for a longer period of time. I like the ability to give myself options.

I'm deepest in 9mm as that is the 'primary' caliber for HD and EDC. 40 S&W is next. 357sig is represented with both FMJ and HP's. That doesn't count .22lr which is deep. I still have some .45acp ammunition although I currently don't have any pistols chambered for it. 380acp is represented with both FMJ and HP but it's not something I shoot a lot of compared to the other calibers.

I'm not as deep as you in any of the calibers but I don't compete anymore (at least not right now). I still train but infrequently. So I'm comfortable with the current round count. That isn't to say that I don't add when the opportunity arises. I mentioned in another thread that I snagged 400 rounds of 40 S&W this last weekend for $175. 100 rounds was FMJ but the other 300 rounds was 180g Gold Dots. So I figure that was about 1/2 price give or take. The guy was getting out of 40 S&W and had it up on a local BST site.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".