TX 22 Owners

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

TX 22 Owners

Post by Ronin.45 »

I've had both models of TX for a while now. The standard is my go-to for indoor IDPA style matches because it is a great stand-in for my G17. The competition gets mostly outdoor use for pistol and 2Gun action matches.
Both have been pretty flawless with 1,000-1,500rds apiece or so. No issues to complain about.
They have been shot almost exclusively with Federal Bulk Pack. I tend to work through ammo in the order it was purchased so it's mostly been older Walmart 550 packs in the reddish brown boxes.
I recently graduated to newer 525 packs in the white boxes and definitely noticed a difference. Immediately I started getting keyholing out of the standard model. Not every round, but 3-6 out of each mag. The ammo still cycles well. It just isn't always stabilizing.
I got another brick of the old style from a buddy and tested them side by side last night. Whole mag of old was 16 nice, round holes. Mag of new had 3 obvious and one possible oblong holes.
Has anyone else noticed this?
I've got 6 other guns to try the new ammo in. Hope it's just a tolerance stacking issue with that TX. Otherwise I'm sitting on a big pile of ammo that's faulty
David
Administrator

Re: TX 22 Owners

Post by David »

I’ll have to take a look but IIRC the bulk packs I’ve been using for my TX are the white/black boxes. Federal or Win? I’ll have to look to see which it is. I’ve used that mainly along with CCI Stingers and some small 50 round boxes. I’d say 500+ rounds or so with multiple shooters. All nice little holes, haven’t noticed any key-holing at all.

I’ll check when I get home and let you know the brand.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I checked and my bulk packs are Federal 40 grain in the 325 count white/black boxes. They’ve seem to shoot just fine in my TX.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

I've never tried the 325 packs. I assume it would all be the same ammo regardless of packaging, but that doesn't appear to be the case.
I just picked up 2,250rds of Norma Tac 22 and I have 2,000rds of Aguila. I'll try those and see how they act in the TX. The federal can go in 6 other rimfires.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Had three range sessions in the last couple of weeks. The TX22 was one of the pistols and happy to report that it's still shooting like a champ. Only malfunctions were ammo related which is not surprising with .22 bulk pack. Still a seriously fun gun and great to teach a new shooter on.

Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Dave,

i wasn't aware you had a TX. keep an eye out at shoptaurus.com for accessories like mags, competition slide kits, holster etc. They have 20% off sales around most of the holidays. For example I bought the comp slide kit for $160 at the St. Patricks day sale, normally $200. I bought and extra pair of mags over mother's day sale, a Bushnell RXS100 for $80 (normally $100) during the Memorial day sale and a TX competition holster (that holds a TX with an optic) over the 4th of july sale. one of my TX22s is now all set up to rock and roll.

I've since replaced the Holosun with the Bushnell but they're pretty close in size.

Both are currently up at the woods house. I haven't used the Bushnell or holster yet but I'm heading there end of the week to try them out.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Thank you.

Yep, bought one back in 2021 for around $280. Bought it mainly for my wife to train with as she has recoil sensitivity issues. But have also used it to teach new shooters (like my niece this morning. I detailed that in another thread). Good little pistol. I was seriously needing a .22 pistol. I looked into the one you were talking about (P17 or something like that) but couldn't find one anywhere at the time. So I went with the TX22 and have been happy with it. Everyone has enjoyed it thoroughly, particularly my wife and new shooters.

Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

Been gone a while, but my TXs are still running great. Just that one lot of Federal ammo keyholing. Everything else shoots great.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Ronin.45 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:43 pm Been gone a while, but my TXs are still running great. Just that one lot of Federal ammo keyholing. Everything else shoots great.
Everyone that shoots the TX seems to really love it. I've taught several new shooters on it and they all really did well with the pistol. They laugh when I up the caliber with some other pistols and then they go back to the TX. They are all like, 'there's no recoil' and I'm like, 'yep, that's why I started you on it'.

I think it's a great starter pistol for new shooters. And it seems to be really popular has far as competitions go as well. Well worth what I paid for it.