Deer hunting 2023

The section for hunting, fishing, camping, hiking and all of our outdoor adventures. This section includes gardening and the harvesting of game and other edibles.
Bob
Board Founder

Re: Deer hunting 2023

Post by Bob »

Nice
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Well...I'm home for awhile.

My brothers and one of their sons in law was supposed to come up for deer camp. My son's wife just had a baby so he didn't come. It turns out my youngest brother's wife came down with covid a couple days before the opening day and since my other brother babysits his 4 year old grandsons a couple days a week and my other brother and I go and visit our mother he/we decided he'd better not come so he and his SIL didn't come this year.

Other than a couple small doe my older brother saw on opening day we didn't see another deer, nor did we hear any shooting the whole 5 days we hunted. Deer took a vacation somewhere else.

Temps last week were in the 50s & 60s which is really warm for Nov in Michigan. Deer don't move much in warm weather but it was in the 20s & 30s the last couple days and we still didn't see anything. Oh well.

I home to see my mom tomorrow and tuesday then back up either Tuesday night or wednesday morning until next sunday. My wife, daughter and her husband are coming up for Thanksgiving but I'll be hunting the rest of the time unless/until I get a decent buck.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Was a chilly 13'F this morning, jumped a deer on the road walking back to the house around 11 am.

Saw a couple doe yesterday morning and the night before but no bucks.

As the season winds down (ends next Thursday) I may just take a doe for the freezer.

It's been a rather disappointing season what with all the work I did on the food plots. I planted too late but going to have to re evaluate what was planted as well.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Last day of the rifle season is today.

I came up Tuesday afternoon. Saw a doe. A doe walked by my blind overlooking the ravine last evening. Had a group of 5 doe walk by my blind on the back ridge this morning. I'm seeing deer just no bucks.

Muzzle loading season starts tomorrow December 1-10. I have a muzzle loading barrel for my mossberg 500 which I sighted in yesterday so I'm good for another 10 days.

That barrel is actually on a Black Aces reciever I bought about 5 years ago. It's a long story which I may get around to some day.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Didn't see any deer yesterday or today but we had 3" of snow last (Friday) night. Hunted with my muzzle loader.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Got up to 42 on Saturday, bright and sunny, beautiful day to be in the woods. No deer but did see a flock of turkeys and a coyote.

Dusting of snow Saturday night. Went out to my blind about 6:40 am this morning. Light snow started at around 7:30 and by 10 we had 4" of snow.

Since I had been there since last Tuesday I wanted to get home so I cleaned up the house and left at noon. By then the roads were covered. Flipped the truck into 4wd and did about 20 mph. 5 miles south the snow turned to sleet then to rain and the roads were wet but clear. Heavy rain the rest of the way home.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

I'm guessing no deer jerky on this outing.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Bmyers wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:56 am I'm guessing no deer jerky on this outing.
not this time but I did get my venison back from the processor and we've been enjoying steaks and burgers for a couple of weeks now.

Muzzle loading season ends next sunday and then there is a open antlerless deer rifle season until the end of the month so there's another opportunity to fill the freezer.

I'll be heading north again tomorrow to finish out the ML season, then we'll see. It's been a long and somewhat disappointing season but I miss being out in the woods when I not there so I may as well hunt than sit around indoors.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

I have talked to a few hunters in our parts and been surprised how many have turned up empty. It isn't for a lack of deer, they are everywhere. Yet, the deer seem to be getting smarter, they are staying in the neighborhoods and areas that hunting isn't allowed. Our company has had four deer/vehicle accidents this year.

Maybe if hunters start wearing FORD/CHEVY logos they would be more successful. :)
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I'm pretty much done for the year. Didn't see a buck the entire rifle season or muzzle loading season. I may still go out during the rifle antlerless season that runs until the end of the month but only because I promised my brother I'd get him some venison if I saw a doe. Saw some last week, haven't seen a deer since.