First grandson born this morning

The place to gather and chat about any and all topics not covered elsewhere on the board.
Mac66
Board Founder

First grandson born this morning

Post by Mac66 »

Gillies Mac was born this morning at 12:36 am. 8 lbs 9 ozs.

Unusual name. He was named after an ancestor who fought at the battle of Culloden (Scotland) in 1746 on the Jacobite side. We had a painting of that battle (and Gillies doing his thing) in our home and my son said if he ever had a son he would name him Gillies. Our clan was a minor clan allied with Clan Chatten (clan of the cat). Gillies fighting in the MacIntosh battalion killed 14 Hanoverian German mercenaries before being cut down. The King of England at the time was German. Apparently that story impressed my son growing up.

Eventually when our ancestors immigrated first to Canada then the US in the 1860s a Gillies was one of the 5 brothers who came over. They were Gillies, Duncan, William, John and Alexander and they named their sons after their brothers. So many of the names were carried down. My dad was William, one of my uncles John and another Alexander. There hasn't been a Gillies (or Duncan) in my family line for 3 or 4 generations. So kinda cool to resurrect that old name and...of course to be a grandpa.
Last edited by Mac66 on Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Erich

Re: First grandson born this morning

Post by Erich »

God bless Gillies with a long and happy life!
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Very big congrats ! :D
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Btw.. Gillies is pronounced Gill ease
Bogart

Post by Bogart »

Congratulations
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Because my wife was exposed to covid a week before the baby was born we had to wait 5 days to see him. So we finally got a chance to meet him yesterday.

He likes being in his grandma's arms.

And they are already just calling him Gill or Gilly.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

congrats
You can't fix stupid !
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

What a wonderful smile. Congrats