Hatchet, Tomahawk or Machete?

The area to discuss BOB's, EDC's, GHB's and other gear. Also includes Comms and other radio topics.
Gnepig
Board Founder

Re: Hatchet, Tomahawk or Machete?

Post by Gnepig »

Quote:
"Are you Clan MacBean? That's where I saw this

Just thought it was funny popping up after me posting here about carrying a hatchet."

No, just thinkin it's funny that I seen this image on bookface two days before seeing your post about carrying a hatchet. The statement below the picture was copied straight from bookface...
... Just a Dude...
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Gnepig wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:13 am Quote:
"Are you Clan MacBean? That's where I saw this

Just thought it was funny popping up after me posting here about carrying a hatchet."

No, just thinkin it's funny that I seen this image on bookface two days before seeing your post about carrying a hatchet. The statement below the picture was copied straight from bookface...
What goes around, comes around I guess. And the internet tracks everything you do and say.
Gnepig
Board Founder

Post by Gnepig »

Went to the gun show today- bought a box of ammo and this hawk= it throws ok, needs a little reprofile but I like it.

Attachments
thumbnail-5.jpeg
thumbnail-5.jpeg (79.54 KiB) Viewed 5429 times
thumbnail-6.jpeg
thumbnail-6.jpeg (517.06 KiB) Viewed 5429 times
... Just a Dude...
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Nice find.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Gnepig wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:56 pm Went to the gun show today- bought a box of ammo and this hawk= it throws ok, needs a little reprofile but I like it.

Dang, now I want a hawk
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

I loved watching the Last of the Mohicans some decades ago and seeing a tomahawks thrown. But do NOT do that despite all the advertising! Hit a rock, the ground or something other than wood and you are damaging the same. You can chip the blade edge or break the handle.

The best and expensive hatchets and tomahawks in the market are much better looking than the units I have made. Go spend $300-$500.

Some pointers when making a selection of a tomahawk/hatchet:

1. you get what you pay for.
2. if you get a unit for value/function rather than appearance, it will not be a pretty wallhanger with a wood handle. The handle will not be replaceable. It will be a modern rendition for which you do not have to commission or make your own sheath.
3. deleted
4. Don't waste your money on a unit, whether you are buying a tomahawk or a hatchet with a handle length under 12 inches. 14 inches is much better because you need leverage. I see a commercial unit just a tad under 12 inches offered by a major mfg. Do not buy it.

5. The best crossover unit is an Estwing which is available on line or at the big box stores.
6. If you want a perfect traditional appearing hatchet, buy a unit made in Sweden.
7. Whatever you buy, make sure you have a sheath.
8. Whatever you buy, make sure that you that you have a hole at the end of a handle and have put some 550 cord through. You never want to put a tomahawk/hatchet/axe/ hoe/wood rake on the ground for storage. It will get wet or be a danger to people walking. You want to hang the unit up and out of the way or quickly available.

9. You can get different heads. I prefer spikes on tomahawks. You have to be thoughtful on hatchet heads. Some are not really designed to used as hammers. Many units that I have restored had to have the heads deformed. If you want a hatchet to work like a hammer, buy the unit that you know can be used as a hammer without deforming the head - or be willing to keep restoring the head to the original condition so long as you use it as a hammer.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Here in FL - MAchete.

Cold Steel
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

For our family gathering in October i.e, Mactoberfest, I bought some throwing axes. More like throwing hatchets as they were pretty small, probably not much more than a foot long. They were fun to play with and everybody loved throwing hatchets. They did get pretty beat up however and next year I will buy better quality ones.

Which got me thinking about buying a good hatchet. I did use my small machete for stripping the branches off the pine trees I used to build my hunting blind. It worked fine, a hatchet would/could the same thing. I use that machete a lot and carry it on my ATV whenever I'm out and about.

Still looking for a hatchet/tomahawk