Turkey hunting

The section for hunting, fishing, camping, hiking and all of our outdoor adventures. This section includes gardening and the harvesting of game and other edibles.
Mac66
Board Founder

Turkey hunting

Post by Mac66 »

Turkey season opened in Michigan yesterday. Shot my first turkey last evening. I used my Mossberg 500 with a 24" bbl w/ turkey choke @ 35 yards. Shells were Remington 3" mags #5 turkey loads.

4 toms came into the field about 7:50 pm. Waited for them to get close, shot the largest one. Pics when I get home. Still out with my brother.

An now the rest of the story...I see flocks of turkeys on my property. Every night and every morning in the food plot, big toms strutting around...except during the spring season. All summer, every fall I see them. There is a fall season in Michigan except in my county. I started turkey hunting about 4 years ago. The season is the last week in April or the first week in May, you can't do both, you have to apply as there are limited licenses issued. I think there are something like 2200 licenses given out for my county. Turkey hunting in MI is a big deal, not as big as deer hunting, but pretty big.

So my older brother and I went out before dawn. Set up at either end of the food plot, he at the south end, me at the north end, about 130 yards apart. Turkeys roost in trees, often just off the south ridge off the food plot. As it started getting light we started hearing gobbling. Lots and lots of gobbling. Around 7:30 I caught a glimpse of turkeys coming down out of the tree at the far end of the field closer to my brother. After about 20 minute the walked out onto the field about 40 yards away from my brother. They were in a line facing him and he didn't want to shoot them head on for fear of hitting the others. He waited until they turned and let loose at the first one. He missed and they all took off.

He had committed the first sin of hunting, always check your gun before going out in the field. He was using a Mossberg 835 (variation of the 500) turkey gun with a scope. The scope was loose, when we took it back to my range it was shooting a foot high and 6 inches left at 20 yards. We ended up taking the scope off and patterned it with just the bead sight.

Worked all day around the house and back out to the field about 6pm. This time I was at the south end, he at the north. About 10 minutes to 8, the same 4 toms walked out at the south end. I picked the biggest and dropped him at about 35 yards. First turkey ever!

Bogart

Re: Turkey hunting

Post by Bogart »

Very nice, that should be some good eating. Congratulations
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Winner, winner turkey dinner :)
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

My family suggested I have a wild game dinner what with getting a deer, a pig and a turkey. Need to get out and catch some fish now.
Mac66
Board Founder

Turkey hunting 2023

Post by Mac66 »

Kind of missed the first turkey season in April this year, all the licenses were sold on my area. However, license sales must be way down this year because Michigan opened up a "universal license" for the state for the month of May. It's good for any game area. So I bought one since i was going up to the woods house anyway this weekend.

Weather was pretty warm the last few days. Near 80 and the mosquitoes have been swarming. I was out in the food plot in my pop up blind with just the screened portholes open to keep out the skeeters. Visibility was limited. Had some turkey decoys out and was using a turkey call.

Well the call worked but not on toms, I had called a coyote in. Wasn't really paying attention. Normally I would have shot him but he was 50 yards away when I saw him moving away from the decoys. I wished I had a rifle with me or even a centerfire pistol. I was carrying my Taurus TX22 as a back up/coup de gras pistol to my shotgun. Just too far a shot and he was moving too fast. There is a bounty on 'yotes in Michigan. The next day I called an owl in. Owls hate turkeys for some reason. Not shooting a owl though.

So...no turkeys this time but I'm going back up to the woods house next Thursday and will be hunting off and on all weekend.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I know a lot of people who have hunted Turkey. You sir, actually got one. Congrats.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Unfortunately I didn't get a turkey this year and my county wasn't open for fall turkey season which is when I see the most turkeys. There has been a flock, including some big Toms out in the field just about every day when I'm out there bow hunting. Even had them on the front lawn of the house. There was about 30 of them on the lawn last week when we pulled into the driveway .

My brother says he watched the flock yesterday evening (I'm home) out in the field at my place while bow hunting.