What do you carry in the 'wilds'?

The section for hunting, fishing, camping, hiking and all of our outdoor adventures. This section includes gardening and the harvesting of game and other edibles.

What do you carry in the 'wilds'?

.22lr
No votes
380acp
No votes
38 Special
No votes
9mm
No votes
357sig
No votes
357 magnum
20%
40S&W
No votes
45acp
60%
44 magnum
No votes
Other
20%

Total votes: 5

David
Administrator

Re: What do you carry in the 'wilds'?

Post by David »

As long as the bad guys abide by the 10-round limit then I guess it's okay.....
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I like my Gen 3 Glock 21 for woods carry. But yesterday I was with my nephew at an Academy in his area. Got a chance to hold a Gen 4 G21 and liked it quite a bit. The grip texturing is better in my opinion. And the grip girth was less than the Gen 3. Just felt better in the hand, somewhat similar to the G17 grip.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Erich

Post by Erich »

Generally when I hike up in the national forest behind the subdivision, it's just whatever I'm carrying - lately it's been the CSX. We have black bears (sleeping, I assume) and mountain lions, but no griz.
Yesterday

When I drive to the far-boonies (out where police response is at least an hour away), I generally have some sort of AR pistol with me because cases I've worked show that a lot of weird stuff happens out there.
Shorty is 300 BLK; 10.5" is 5.56
Quebradas Backcountry Byway - Bureau of Land Management
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Looks like a nice area.
Erich

Post by Erich »

It's lovely - too bad that there are so many people who are trying to turn it into California-in-the-high-desert. :(
A short stroll into the National Forest behind my subdivision - taken earlier this week right before it snowed again
David
Administrator

Post by David »

tom mac wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:07 am Always carry the Glock 20...
Just looking at the poll and realized I forgot to put 10mm. Big oversight on my part, apologies. :oops:

Still carrying the Gen3 G21. Thought about upgrading it to a Gen 5, and maybe down the road. But realistically speaking, I don't carry it often enough to really justify it (not that I've let that stop me in the past). I can shoot the Gen 3 just fine because I have so much experience with it. Had to qualify with it for nearly 20 years since it was the duty issue.

Erich

Post by Erich »

10mm is just the greatest . . . but I no longer own one because probably 40% of my attention as I pulled the trigger was always on "Where's that brass going?" Nowadays I've seen a resurgence in availability of the round (it was easy to find in the mid-Nineties, got expensive in the late Nineties and stayed that way until the last few years - now you see it again for under $20/50 for blasting ammo). Man, those Glock 40 MOS guns sure are nifty . . .

My long-departed 1076 . . . with the Southpaw mag release!
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Sold my Glock 21 and picked up another Sig P229 in 40 S&W. I think one of them will be my new woods/trail gun.

Just need to decide if I want to keep it 40 or drop in the 357sig barrel.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Sold my Glock 21. Woods carry/trail pistol is now going to be a Sig P229 in either 40 S&W or 357sig. Leaning towards 40 but haven't completely ruled out 357sig.

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I think my new woods gun is my Ruger Blackhawk