22 LR penetration

A section to discuss firearms ballistics (as well as air rifles and other types of projectiles).
Mac66
Board Founder

22 LR penetration

Post by Mac66 »

Was up at the woods house over the weekend and was splitting wood using my new to me woodsplitter. I had a pile of wood across the driveway from my garage that we occasionally would hang and shoot targets from the garage when it was raining or snowing.

So I split half a dozen logs and was surprised to find 22 bullet in the wood. I was also suprised to see that the 22s penetrated 12-14" of solid oak. Of course we were shooting into the end of the log but even so. That's pretty good. Obviously these were solid points not hollow points.

David
Administrator

Re: 22 LR penetration

Post by David »

That is some impressive penetration. Definitely go through a common door or fence without much issue. What would you estimate the distance for those shots. I'd imagine they'd start losing steam fairly quickly.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Re: 22 LR penetration

Post by Mac66 »

David wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:17 pm That is some impressive penetration. Definitely go through a common door or fence without much issue. What would you estimate the distance for those shots. I'd imagine they'd start losing steam fairly quickly.
Minimum of 30 yards out of rifle, probably a 10/22 w/18" bbl. Not sure what loads they were but probably CCI 40 gr Blazer which I have the most of. Velocity out of 10/22 is about 1200 FPS