Cancer

Preparedness starts with good health. Section for all things health and exercise related. Including discussions of current events in the world of health and medicine.
Mac66
Board Founder

Cancer

Post by Mac66 »

So my wife's sister in law (her brother's wife) started falling down and getting disoriented. My wife's brother finally talked her into going to the doctor but they couldn't get her in for a couple weeks. Instead he took her to the ER last Tuesday. They did an xray and MRI. Found an aggressive cancerous tumor in her brain.

They gave her a month or two to live without surgery, maybe up to 2 years with, depending on how radiation goes and how aggressive the cancer is.

They choose surgery. Did surgery on Friday and removed about 75% of the cancer. Apparently the stick in a probe that vibrates and breaks up the cancer which they then suck out. Will treat the rest with radiation. She's doing okay.

Kind of a kick in the gut but makes you wonder what you'd do.

As for me, at first I thought...Why prolong things? Just accept the month or two and let me go. Upon thinking about it I think it would take more than a couple months to tie up loose ends, do some things I always wanted to do, say goodbye to the people I cared about and go through the 5 stages (denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance) to get to acceptance.

So the question is, had it happened to you would you have had the surgery knowing you are going to die anyway either sooner or later? And what would you do in the time you have left?
Bmyers
Board Founder

Re: Cancer

Post by Bmyers »

Well, first off, will say a pray for her.

I would opt for the surgery. I know my family wouldn't be ready in two months and if I could do something that would make it easier on them, I would do it. Ultimately, I will be dead either way, so I get out easy, they are the ones that have to go on. If the final thing I could do is provide them with more time to help them through the process, I would.

As far as what I would do.....I think the things I worry about now would be a whole lot less important. I would try to find ways to make my upcoming death as easy as possible for the family. I would want them to know how much they are loved and spend as much time as possible creating enjoyable memories for them to have to help them through.

When I try to think is there anything I would want to do, nothing jumps out. I have had a blessed life, seen many things, got to participate in many things, and there is nothing on my 'bucket list' that would be worth taking away time from the family.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Absolutely, prayers sent.

I'd go an alternate route for recovery. Chemo/radiation isn't a cure, it's a death sentence. And a miserable one.

I'd start by drinking more Cell Quest as well as juicing and such and give my body what it needs to fight/kill the cancer through the immune system. Cell Quest can't say it's a 'cancer cure' because our great pharma-controlled FDA won't allow it. But there are multiple testimonials for people having cancer that took large amounts of Cell Quest and the cancer disappeared.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Erich

Post by Erich »

How awful. More prayers. I have no idea what I'd do: I'd hope it would be positive.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I know it's inevitable that we or a loved one dies. I wouldn't know how to handle it if it was my wife. I'd be lost without her, she's my best friend.

I have a friend from high school who lost his wife to cancer about 25 years ago. He drank heavily for about 5 years but then quit. He remarried a couple years ago but told me he still misses his first wife and thinks of her everyday.

The doctors are now saying that only 25% of patients who had the surgery with this kind of cancer last a year. Most die within 3 or 4 months. My wife told her brother that he better start making plans.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Went and visited my S-I-L this weekend. She apparently didn't want/doesn't know the prognosis except that she has to go through radiation and chemo. She doesn't know that she probably has a year at most left. My BIL (wife's older brother) is a basket case.

SIL looks good at this point and is recovering hand feeling and use on her right side from the surgery. She starts rehab tomorrow and will begin radiation and chemo in about a week.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Prays sent...
been thru the big C 3x with wife. Tough decisions.
Now she's 9 yrs out and runs 3 miles per day, so I got lucky.
You can't fix stupid !
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Tough times. A relative just celebrated 2 years with stage 4 lung cancer. About ten years ago, a doctor gave me a choice: 1 radiation treatment or surgery. Chose surgery. I got lucky.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

They say if you hang around long enough you'll get some form of cancer. My sister had breast cancer, survived, been cancer free for almost 20 years. My brother had prostate cancer, has survived for the last 5 years. My dad had colon cancer and survived for 20 years. My mother is 96 and doesn't have any cancer that we know of or would treat anyway at this point.

My father in law was diagnosed with liver cancer when he was 94. He also had advanced parkinson's so he/we decided not to treat the cancer. He lasted about a month, wasn't in any pain.