Hunting 2022

The section for hunting, fishing, camping, hiking and all of our outdoor adventures. This section includes gardening and the harvesting of game and other edibles.
Mac66
Board Founder

Re: Hunting 2022

Post by Mac66 »

Passed on a small doe but had a 6 pt walk down the field towards me last night. Got within 50 yards, at little too far and was at an angle I couldn't shoot at. He lingered for a few minutes then walked into the woods too far away. Oh so close and yet so far.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

View from my blind yesterday morning

Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

The colors are real good this year. I looked at pics from last year and most of the leaves were down by this time.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Colors went from full blown last Sunday to brown or down on Tuesday.

So I went home on Sunday evening, my wife left for Florida on Monday so I went back to the woods house on Tuesday afternoon after visiting my mom Monday and Tuesday.

Had a couple deer come out on Tues evening. A couple more on Wed morning. Had 7 come out Wed evening. Took a shot at a big doe but missed, easy shot 30 yards the bolt went a foot under her. Couldn't figure it out. Got another shot on Thurs evening but missed (this time a foot over). Couldn't figure it out. When I went back to the house I shot it on the target. First shot was low, second shot was high. What the heck??? Checked the scope, it was loose. Tightened it up and resighted it in.

Never got another shot the rest of the time.

This beauty came out on Thursday morning.

Too small to shoot but that pic is a good one to illustrate the aim point...heart-lung shot

Last edited by Mac66 on Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Was talking to my neighbor Barry who has the land east of me. We were talking about taking doe. He said he had read that we should shoot all the little doe because it helps balance the herd between doe and bucks. The idea is that you keep shooting the young doe and the older ones keeps breeding and may then pop out a buck or two. Mature doe tend to have twins with a better chance of them being bucks. Mature doe tend to be better and more experienced mothers and their fawns tend to survive better.

Perhaps a good idea but kinda expensive to get deer processed these days and it costs just as much to process a small deer as it does a big one. Cost per pound goes way up with younger/smaller deer

Guess I should go back butchering my own deer. That way I can take more small ones and still get enough meat without paying the per deer processing fee. Not to mention the more you do it, the better you get and the easier it becomes.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Was up at the house for a couple days. Went up Tuesday afternoon, just got home. Hunted Tuesday evening, Wed morning and evening and Thursday morning. These girls kept showing up like clockwork. Nearly every morning and evening for the last couple weeks. I'm a bit hesitant in taking mama and since the rut has started I'm hoping they will lure a buck into the field so I'm holding out.

This was this morning (Thursday) at about 8 am.

FYI, the white stake is 30 yards. The woods is about 35 yards. The deer on the left is at about 20 and mama is at about 25 yards. An easy shot (unless your scope is loose).