Early doe season

The section for hunting, fishing, camping, hiking and all of our outdoor adventures. This section includes gardening and the harvesting of game and other edibles.
Mac66
Board Founder

Early doe season

Post by Mac66 »

There are so many doe running around in my state that they opened up an early firearms antlerless/doe season for this weekend only. Archery season opens on October 1, regular firearms season opens on November 15.

My brother and one of my sons came up to the woods house to hunt this weekend. None of us saw anything yesterday but my son got a nice big doe this morning. About 75 yards through thick woods. The leaves are just starting to turn, have not dropped yet. It was a good shot.

One shot kill using his suppressed 300 blackout AR 10.5 " bbl pistol. He killed a deer with it last year and a pig with it.

I did see a deer for about 2 seconds about 100 yards away crossing a path. No time to even raise my gun.

BTW, the state had a youth hunt last weekend. 6155 deer were reported taken.* Of that about 4000 were bucks, 2000 were does.

*The state started a mandatory electronic reporting requirement this year, so those numbers are what was reported and may not necessarily what was actually taken.
Last edited by Mac66 on Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tom mac
Board Founder

Re: Early doe season

Post by tom mac »

Does are out here with the babies.... all very small in NY tho.
1 or 2 juvie bucks but not much else. All the big guys are early hiding , bow season comes mid Oct.
You can't fix stupid !
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

With an over abundance of does, it makes sense to have a doe season. I do question letting youth kill bucks before they breed. They don't go into rut until November. The youth season should be a doe only season.

Here's my son's deer...

Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Some meat going into the freezer. I like your rifle setup.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Bmyers wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:32 am Some meat going into the freezer. I like your rifle setup.
Thats my sons set up. He wanted something that would double as being both practical and potentially for shtf. So it helps that he can hunt with it. So far he's taken 2 deer and a hog. I prefer something more traditional but his is a nice set up.

Bow season starts October 1.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Nice multipurpose tool. Smart thinking.