VIDEO OF MY POUCH & BAG

The area to discuss BOB's, EDC's, GHB's and other gear. Also includes Comms and other radio topics.
Bob
Board Founder

VIDEO OF MY POUCH & BAG

Post by Bob »

We can talk about bug out bags all day, but a video is worth 1000 Pictures, so that's like 1,000,000 words!

A key thing to remember is that I don't really have a dedicated "bug out bag." I actually have sort of a "system of bags, pushes and packs etc. I can grab what I need, want, and mix and match etc. But these are the foundation of any adventure for me, good or bad!

enjoy. Please tell me what you like about them, what you might change, or ask any questions about what/why etc.

David
Administrator

Re: VIDEO OF MY POUCH & BAG

Post by David »

First, great video.

Secondly, I've seen Bob's EDC pouch and bag firsthand many a time at our SEP gatherings. He's got a good system and the choice of Maxpedition is very sound. I have a similar bag but it's a knock off. It's 'okay' but it is not the equal of the Maxpedition. I may need to look into picking one up if I see a deal.

So tossing out some questions and observations...
  • That Frontier straw in your pouch, how's it holding up for you. I have several but the core seems to want to come loose and fall out. One of the reasons I went with the Sawyer Mini Filter.
  • Whistle is a very good idea. 99 cents at HFT.
  • The solar powered charger; how long have you had it and how well is it working for you. I've thought about getting one several times but haven't pulled the trigger yet. There are so many brands it's hard to know which is good and which is crap.
  • You said the multi-tool was a Gerber Wave but I think you meant Gerber Suspension. I carry the same one.
  • Thanks for the mention on the fire-starter wafers/chips :) For anyone that hasn't made them/used them they work fantastic!
I think you've got all the basics covered and you've gone deep in the right areas. Well done.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Also note that I would likely have a few items in my pockets:

#1 A folding knife (Spyderco, Gerber, Kershaw...whatever I chose that day)
#2 Possibly a Swiss Climber
#3 A Zippo lighter that is fueled
#4 A SIPIK or Surefire light
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

David wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:51 pm I have a similar bag but it's a knock off. It's 'okay' but it is not the equal of the Maxpedition. I may need to look into picking one up if I see a deal.
MAxpedition does a lot of BOGO sales - so you could pick up a new one for 1/2 price, as long as you get 2! My bag is 10+ years old and has been everywhere. Obviously only thing was two ties came untied.
  • That Frontier straw in your pouch, how's it holding up for you. I have several but the core seems to want to come loose and fall out. One of the reasons I went with the Sawyer Mini Filter.
Fine - I suppose? I never have "used" it. Only tested a couple of times. And they do still make them.
  • The solar powered charger; how long have you had it and how well is it working for you. I've thought about getting one several times but haven't pulled the trigger yet. There are so many brands it's hard to know which is good and which is crap.
I have used it. Works fine. I got it on a Groupon cheap. Don't know the brand. Notice I have a thin little Brunton also! Just in case...
  • You said the multi-tool was a Gerber Wave but I think you meant Gerber Suspension. I carry the same one.
Correct - it is a Suspension. Got it off eBay on a super deal!
  • Thanks for the mention on the fire-starter wafers/chips :) For anyone that hasn't made them/used them they work fantastic!
Mine have a little too much wax. Need to use the old stock and make a new batch w/ less paraffin and a few drops of kerosene.
I think you've got all the basics covered and you've gone deep in the right areas.
I like to be deep deep on knives, water, and fire. After that whatever....
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Found a new Fatboy Versipack on Ebay for $40 + $12 S&H. The Maxi website had them for $97 and the cheapest I could find elsewhere was like $79 so I figured $52 OTD was a pretty good deal.

I would have preferred the Dark Brown or Wolf Grey but they were either out-of-stock most places or way over double/triple the price. I guess Maxi doesn't make them anymore. Khaki is fine though and too be honest, is a good color because it is easier to find stuff deep down.

This will replace my cheap knock-off version. Something broke or ripped on that one but don't remember what. Sometimes you do get what you paid for.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I received my new Versipack in the mail yesterday. Similar to the one you have Bob except it doesn't have the drink pouch on the side, has another pocket with a velcro strap. Khaki colored.

This won't be my EDC bag, I have the Lunada for that. But this will make a great hiking bag and it can also double as part of my GHB. Sort of a grab-n-go portion to the GHB kit box I have in the back cargo area of my vehicle. Now I might see about being on the lookout for a Maxi Proteaus pack to compliment the Versipack.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bob wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:30 am
David wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:51 pm I have a similar bag but it's a knock off. It's 'okay' but it is not the equal of the Maxpedition. I may need to look into picking one up if I see a deal.
MAxpedition does a lot of BOGO sales - so you could pick up a new one for 1/2 price, as long as you get 2! My bag is 10+ years old and has been everywhere. Obviously only thing was two ties came untied.
Fine - I suppose? I never have "used" it. Only tested a couple of times. And they do still make them.
I have used it. Works fine. I got it on a Groupon cheap. Don't know the brand. Notice I have a thin little Brunton also! Just in case...
Correct - it is a Suspension. Got it off eBay on a super deal!
Mine have a little too much wax. Need to use the old stock and make a new batch w/ less paraffin and a few drops of kerosene.
I think you've got all the basics covered and you've gone deep in the right areas.
I like to be deep deep on knives, water, and fire. After that whatever....
Bob, have you tried charging your solar power bank via actual solar power? If so, how long did it take to power up by the sun? The one I have just doesn't seem to be charging at all via solar and I've left it in the sun for days.

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I have in fact used it. Works fine.
aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

Bob wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:29 pm We can talk about bug out bags all day, but a video is worth 1000 Pictures, so that's like 1,000,000 words!

A key thing to remember is that I don't really have a dedicated "bug out bag." I actually have sort of a "system of bags, pushes and packs etc. I can grab what I need, want, and mix and match etc. But these are the foundation of any adventure for me, good or bad!

enjoy. Please tell me what you like about them, what you might change, or ask any questions about what/why etc.
I don't know where you live and that is an important issue.
Winter in North East - snow/rain
Summer in Arizona - sun/heat/few places for water.
Urban/rural
Would require different things.

The other factors are:
How long can you live out of the bag.
How far do you need to go with the bag.

I'd say it is a get home bag. In an emergency you are away from home and you can not drive home. With that understanding you could have another bag with additional needs e.g. hiking boots, additional clothing, rain gear in the car.

I'd take a look at two areas - food - consider that if you are walking for hours you would need in the area of 3,000 calories per day at least, more would be better. A power bar is 240 calories. You need calorie dense food.

Water storage - again walking you need to drink a lot of water. You have ways to get clean water but lack storage. Look at Camelbak bladders in 100 oz size. With a car as your start you could have 5 quarts of water - 3 in camelbak, 1 in your 1 qt bottle and 1 to drink as you start your walk. You could go a long way with that before having to stop.

Also, consider that with your current configuration you may not come across many water sources along your route. And you are vulnerable when you are near that water and filtering it ... your focus is on what you are doing not what is around you. Fishing for food is the same. To do it may be off your route and you are vulnerable while doing it.
------------------------------------------------

I'd say the main focus of a get home bag are:
Food
Water
Clothing - protection from heat/cold/rain/snow
Shoes for walking with extra socks
Medical
Protection and evasion
Speed - light weight and comfortable to carry
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bob wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:23 am I have in fact used it. Works fine.
How long did it take to charge up using the solar power panel? The one I got just wouldn't do it. I had it in the direct Florida sun day after day after day and the dial just didn't move. I see many of these type banks list that solar is for emergency use only and that it takes 80+ hours to charge. Reviews are generally unfavorable. If your bank charges up in the sun in a decent time I'd like to know what kind it is and where you got it.