What is a BOB, GHB or EDC and why would you want one anyway?

The area to discuss BOB's, EDC's, GHB's and other gear. Also includes Comms and other radio topics.
David
Administrator

What is a BOB, GHB or EDC and why would you want one anyway?

Post by David »

So what is a BOB, GHB or EDC?

Simply put, a BOB is a bug-out-bag. GHB is a get-home-bag. And EDC is every-day-carry.

A BOB is a bag or pack that you have ready to go on a moments notice. Perhaps it's a suitcase or backpack in the closet that you can grab and head out the immediately head out the door. Why might you have to get out of the house in a hurry? Ask anyone that has been near a highway where a semi of toxic chemicals has overturned. Or a gas main has ruptured or even exploded in the neighborhood. Or perhaps a wildfire or other natural disaster such as a tornado in the area. It contains items that would allow you to survive on a short-term basis.

A GHB is a pack or box full of supplies you keep in your vehicle to allow you to avoid or mitigate being stranded on the side of the road. Or a situation in which you can't travel using your vehicle or perhaps your trapped in your vehicle. Many people get trapped in their vehicles on the highway during blizzards or other natural disasters. Social unrest or riots might not allow travel in a vehicle and necessitate on-foot travel.

An EDC is the stuff you carry daily. In your pockets or perhaps a small waist pack, back pack or sling bag.

Each is a type of bag or pack in which you can easily carry various items that will help you to avoid or mitigate an emergency situation. Some items are daily use items and some might only be used on an as-need basis yet are essential if you do need them. In this thread I'd like to discuss various items of consideration and which type of bag/pack you may want to carry them in and why.

I invite other members to discuss what they think is important for each type of kit. :)
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Re: What is a BOB, GHB or EDC and why would you want one anyway?

Post by David »

One item that I ensure is in my BOB/GHB and even EDC sling bag is the mylar space blanket. Can prevent or mitigate both hypothermia (by wrapping it around your body to reflect your body heat back into your core) and hyperthermia (by creating a shade pocket that reflects solar radiation/heat away from your body). Windproof, waterproof and inexpensive. No reason not to have one or more with you. Also very handy as first-aid gear.

https://www.amazon.com/Primacare-HB-10- ... 975&sr=8-3

Hacks for solar blankets:

Also available in a heavy duty/reusable blanket:

https://www.amazon.com/Bearhard-Emergen ... 401&sr=8-8

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Staying for a moment with our 'keeping warm' theme since more deaths result from hypothermia (core body temperature falling to low) than all other survival situations combined (also called 'exposure').

https://www.amazon.com/Life-Emergency-S ... ljaz10cnVl

Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

We have several of the emergency blankets. Comes in handy of you have a car breakdown and need to crawl underneath, throw it on the ground and to keep your clothes clean.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bmyers wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:54 pm We have several of the emergency blankets. Comes in handy of you have a car breakdown and need to crawl underneath, throw it on the ground and to keep your clothes clean.
That's a good idea I hadn't thought about :)

Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

I bought a set of a dozen and tossed some in each vehicle. They have come in handy for raincoats, temp shelter from the rain, and used them to cover up wet seats. Just handy little items that are also cheap.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I have made up something I call a GAG Bag i.e, Grab and Go. It's like a BOB (bug out bag) but not as extensive. More for short term than long term like a BOB. I primarily use it when I'm going up to my hunting property for a couple of days. I keep it stocked with portable food, meds, clothes, rain gear, FAK, .22 pistol and other stuff for a couple or three days. Kind of just the essentials that I need, kept packed and ready to go.

I also have a couple GAG Gun (GAGG?) Bags. I have some of my AKs and ARs with loaded mags and extra ammo and accessories in cases with shoulder straps. I guess you could also call it a Gun Bug Out Bag (G-BOB?) Essentially, you can just grab one of these cases and it will have all the guns and ammo you need to bug out with. Each contains a rifle, minimum of 6 loaded mags in carrying pouches and an additional 200 rounds of ammo plus cleaning gear, etc, etc. I got the idea from a friend of mine who packs one of these cases with everything he needs to bug out for 72 hours, including rifle, ammo, food, clothes, FAK, plate carrier, pistol/mags/holster, survival gear etc. His is so heavy I can hardly lift it. I haven't gone that far yet.

It is however a good way to consolidate guns and ammo for quick retrieval if/when the balloon goes up.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

The plastic tote I have in the back of my vehicle.

This holds my prep items secure. I have some sling style bags/packs to place those items in if I need to go on foot. I like it this way because the tote is heavy duty so all the stuff is well protected.

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Again - putting a link to the thread here;

http://sepboard.us/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=164
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Another suggestion for any BOB, GHB or EDC is an individual first aid kit (IFAK) or larger version for multiple people. There are a multitude of IFAK's on the market, many from actual medics such as Skinny Medic on YT.

The above are examples of some pre-made IFAK and trauma kits to give some ideas. More ideas/suggestion are in the First Aid section of the board.

I prefer to make my own because this way I know precisely what is in it because I put it there. An IFAK could be as simple as a few band aids and some aspirin. Or you can get a little more in-depth depending on your training. I have First Responder training so I carry things like Israeli Bandages, Israeli dressings, chest vent seals, quick clot sponges as well as boo-boo band aids and the like. And I carry it all in a very small/light IFAK in my EDC sling bag pictured above. I also have a larger version in my GHB in the car and my home FAK.

The idea is to at least have something and build on it as you (hopefully) get more training and/or experience.

If you carry a firearm you should probably think about something that would treat a gun shot wound. Police often carry specific kits on their ankles to address this very thing. It's a prudent thing to think about having handy.