PCC ammunition selection

A section to discuss firearms ballistics (as well as air rifles and other types of projectiles).
David
Administrator

PCC ammunition selection

Post by David »

We've talked a lot about various types of PCC's. I know of several videos and links on the topic and wanted to get the discussion going on this topic again.

Right now I'm using the 124+P Gold Dot in my Sub 2K and the Remington UMC 115 standard velocity in my wife's Sub 2K. Although I'd like to look a little further into various 147's as well. Lucky Gunner put out a video where he discusses the 147 as a good option as it seems to be fairly consistent across the board, though it does begin to lose a little velocity when the barrel length gets up around 16 inches.

@bmyers, I don't recall what round you use in your PCC's?
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Re: PCC ammunition selection

Post by Ronin.45 »

I'm looking at GD 147s now for my bedside pistol and my SBR. Both should keep it subsonic while still being effective.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I would think the 127 GD's would be excellent in both. It's a bonded round so no problem staying together. Deep penetrator.

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/self ... -carbines/

From the conclusion of that article: So what can we learn from all of this? Well, if I was choosing from among these six loads, I would pick one of the two 147-grain HSTs for a home defense 9mm carbine. I’d probably go with the standard pressure version. It tends to have better availability and it seems to have a better reputation from use in law enforcement. The velocity numbers are nothing special but that load does so well even at lower velocities that it doesn’t really matter.

Although it was referring to the 147 HST, I think the conclusion would translate well to the 147 GD as well.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

I like the 124/127gr options, but they tend to be right on the line of sub and supersonic so you'll get a huge noise variation between shots. I'm usually a lightweight bullet guy, but gotta think different with suppressors.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Ronin.45 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:03 pm I like the 124/127gr options, but they tend to be right on the line of sub and supersonic so you'll get a huge noise variation between shots. I'm usually a lightweight bullet guy, but gotta think different with suppressors.
Yeah, the PCC really makes you reconsider things. Add in suppressors and such and it really requires in-depth evaluation. The 124 GD gets a substantial bump in velocity.

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/self ... -carbines/

My 124+P Gold Dot is going to be zipping along at 1400+ in my 16 inch Sub-2K. That looks to yield around 14+ inches of penetration and .70 expansion.

What allows the GD to perform as such is the bonded bullet. Otherwise the jacket would very likely shed off the core and penetration would suffer accordingly. The HST also did very well. The 147 is likely to net you a little more penetration while the 124(+P) are likely to net a bit more expansion. Very little change in velocity in the 147's over handgun barrel lengths. I'd imagine the 147's would be excellent with the suppressor either way.

I'll likely stay with the 124+P GD as that is issued and I get a decent little supply of them from time-to-time. Although occasionally a box of 147 GD's get tossed into the collection. I'd be curious as to which is more accurate out of the PCC at say 100 yards, or if there isn't a head-n-shoulders difference?

bdc
Board Founder

Post by bdc »

I liked the response of a mentor to the question of defensive ammo selection. He taught people how to safely/accurately fire/reload handgun, rifle and shotgun while walking or running.
1. he chose white box 40 cal ammo because it went bang every time;
2. he avoid reloading and the mess associated with that enterprise;
3. his accuracy was such that he was not going to miss a target or vital spot.
Gnepig
Board Founder

Post by Gnepig »

Just incase you were wondering if a 9mm shot would be effective enough to hunt with or other and at what distance:

... Just a Dude...
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I am really surprised 147 +p does not break 1000fps out of 16" barrel....
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Gnepig wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:40 am Just incase you were wondering if a 9mm shot would be effective enough to hunt with or other and at what distance:

I saw that video a while back and was surprised to see a 9mm still having that amount of penetration at 300-400 yards. Now plywood will differ from meat and bone but still interesting.

syntaxerrorsix

Post by syntaxerrorsix »

Bob wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:16 am I am really surprised 147 +p does not break 1000fps out of 16" barrel....

There is very little gain going from a pistol length barrel to an 18" barrel. It just doesn't matter that much with 9mm.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9luger.html
Sappers Forward
841st Eng (Cbt/Hvy) 81ARCOM, 84th Eng (Cbt/Hvy) 2ACR, 40th Eng (Mech) 1AD, 588th Eng (Mech) 4ID

KM4HAG - HA
WQUZ848 - ZA