Weapon Mounted Lights (WML)

Flashlights, lanterns, torches and anything that sheds a little light for your path.
David
Administrator

Re: Weapon Mounted Lights (WML)

Post by David »

I made the decision to upgrade in the area of pistol EDC. As pictured above, I have a TLR-6 on my P365. This will be my main EDC due to it's small size/high capacity and since it is so comfortable. I took the pistol out in the backyard last night to test the TLR-6 out at distance. It worked great and lit up a sizable area at a distance of around 100 feet give-or-take. Plenty for the intended purpose.

I still have my Glock 26 that I carried off-duty prior to getting the P365. And as I noted in the new gun thread, just picked up an HK P30sk. I wanted to have some EDC options to include all three pistols. For example, if I feel like taking a trip out of town I may want to take my Glock 26 along with my Sub 2K since they can both use Glock 17 mags. If I feel like carrying a DA/SA pistol I've got the P30sk.

So I decided to get a WML and appropriate holster for each. For the G26 I picked up another TLR-6. For the P30sk I picked up an Olight PL-Mini 2 Valkyrie.

I'll post some pics when it all arrives.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

I've been pleased with my Olights. I think you'll be happy.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

May need an Olight for my Springfield.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

The Pl-Mini 2 Valkyrie came in for the SK this afternoon. Easy to put on, looks sharp and is pretty much the sun in brightness. Holster is scheduled for Saturday delivery. The TLR-6 for the Glock 26 is scheduled to arrive Saturday as well, along with it's new holster. Once all of it comes in I'll post some pics.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

From top to bottom:

HK P30sk with Olight Pl-Mini 2 Valkyrie (600 lumens)

Glock 26.4 with TLR-6 and G19 mag with Xgrip (100 lumens)

Sig P365 with TLR-6 and 12-round mag (100 lumens)

The holster to the left of the Sig is a Kydex light-bearing holster for the P365. I have two more light-bearing holsters coming for the HK and Glock. Hopefully arriving tomorrow.

The P365 will likely see the most ECW use but I have the other two set up in case I want to use them in the rotation. Now that I'm retired I'm not tied to one specific off-duty weapon and can include other options (the P365 was my official off-duty prior to retiring).

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Some beams shots with the new WML:

Glock 26 w/TLR-6 (100 lumens)

24 feet

84 feet

HK P30sk w/Olight PL-Mini 2 Valkyrie (600 lumens)

24 feet

84 feet

Note that on the 84 foot shots there was a small amount of light coming in from a street light across the street as well as a small motion sensor light I have in the backyard. But I wanted to see how much would show up on the far fence line. In both cases, given the absence of other light sources I would have been able to identify a target out to that distance with either light. The TLR-6 has a smaller hot spot and less overall spill but it would still be decent enough at distance to identify a target appropriately. The Valkyrie has a much wider hot spot and more overall spill. It would have a much longer effective range without doubt.

Overall I'm well satisfied with both lights. Inside of a home either light would be more than sufficient. Outside both would probably suffice for any distance that you'd likely need to be shooting. If I lived in a rural area where it got 'country dark' I'd definitely go with the Valkyrie or something similar.

Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

I like the Olight Mini. I have a holster for it and my G19. I used it at a night match and it worked well.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Gotta try an Olight.

My XD45 could use a little illumination...
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

If I read it correctly, Olight having a Flash sale on the 8th and it includes a WML.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Seems like they have fairly regular sales. That's great for the consumer.

So far both the PL-Mini 2V and the TLR-6 are working fine. Satisfied with both products. I ordered additional batteries which arrived so I'll incorporate them into my EDC sling bag. Small and light enough they really won't take up any space.