Weapon Mounted Lights (WML)

Flashlights, lanterns, torches and anything that sheds a little light for your path.
Bob
Board Founder

Re: Weapon Mounted Lights (WML)

Post by Bob »

aerynsun wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:01 pm
I am not assuming the bad guy is looking straight at the light.

You are assuming you surprise the guy with the light and the bad guy is blinded.
The light is on, right, the light does not have to be pointed at the bad guy to see the light.
Especially in a home. The bad guy could see the light on a wall and moving around.
Think about it.

If you are walking on the sidewalk at night and a car comes down the street with its lights on; you do not have to be in front of the car to see the light.
As I said - assumptions all over the place. That's why this is always a tough topic to discuss - here are my examples.

You are assuming

You are assuming you surprise the guy with the light and the bad guy is blinded
- No need - pop around a corner and glance at it and you have to move out of beam. On the other hand, light is bright enough for me to see/identify you even if you are not directly in the cone. If you can see me - I can see you.

The light is on, right, the light does not have to be pointed at the bad guy to see the light:
- No and it does not need to be pointed at him for me to acquire the target either.

Especially in a home. The bad guy could see the light on a wall and moving around.
- Why am I moving around? I'm at a choke point waiting for him to enter the cone anywhere, or make a noise.

We both making valid points - which under your imagined scenario make as much sense as mine.
aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

Bob wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:21 pm
aerynsun wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:01 pm
I am not assuming the bad guy is looking straight at the light.

You are assuming you surprise the guy with the light and the bad guy is blinded.
The light is on, right, the light does not have to be pointed at the bad guy to see the light.
Think about it.

If you are walking on the sidewalk at night and a car comes down the street with its lights on; you do not have to be in front of the car to see the light.
As I said - assumptions all over the place. That's why this is always a tough topic to discuss - here are my examples.

You are assuming

You are assuming you surprise the guy with the light and the bad guy is blinded
- No need - pop around a corner and glance at it and you have to move out of beam. On the other hand, light is bright enough for me to see/identify you even if you are not directly in the cone. If you can see me - I can see you.

The light is on, right, the light does not have to be pointed at the bad guy to see the light:
- No and it does not need to be pointed at him for me to acquire the target either.

- Why am I moving around? I'm at a choke point waiting for him to enter the cone anywhere, or make a noise.

We both making valid points - which under your imagined scenario make as much sense as mine.
What if there isn't a corner?

Maybe you are walking around because you are going to loved one's room to protect them. Or maybe you are popping around a corner.

I like options and I think the average person has more options without a gun mounted light.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

David wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:16 am Well I received the new holster yesterday in the mail. It looks almost exactly like the holster I was using previously for the P365 with the exception that it is molded to fit a P365 with the TLR-6. Put it all together and I think this is going to work just fine. And I think the TLR-6, although not as bright as other options, is going to work out just fine for my purposes.
Well, I’m enjoying this new holster and TLR-6. The holster is working out great and is pretty much like the previous one except it excepts the P365 with WML. As far as the WML, it lights up a room just fine. Defined hot spot with even spill. I need to take it outside in the backyard and try it at various distances.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I remembered that I hadn't added a picture of my P365 with the TLR-6 and my holster. Even though I'm retired now, this is still my EDC pistol.

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
ratf51
Board Founder

Post by ratf51 »

David wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:29 pm Who has what light on what gun?
OK. So I'm late to the party on this one. What light-- Insight Technologies M3X with LED. What gun-- Gen3 G22. Both were purchased in 2006. The M3X originally had incandescent bulbs but about 10 years ago they came out with an LED bezel that you could buy and upgrade your light. I purchased a kydex holster from Raven Concealment that was made for this pistol/light combo.

If I recall correctly the LED puts out somewhere between 120 and 150 lumens. At the time that was quite good. The light itself is built like a tank. As best I can tell this company no longer exists. The gun is my nightstand gun. It resides in a generic nylon holster (easy and quiet draw); the mag has a plus 2 extension on it so I have at hand 18 rounds of 40S&W goodness.

If I ever move to a different gun for my nightstand gun I'll get a more modern light. Otherwise, what I have works.
ratf51
Board Founder

Post by ratf51 »

David wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:58 pm I remembered that I hadn't added a picture of my P365 with the TLR-6 and my holster. Even though I'm retired now, this is still my EDC pistol.

By the way, nice setup!
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Thanks. That's the nice thing about an LED light, even if the company goes under you pretty much don't have to worry about the LED burning out. Other stuff could go wrong but likely never an issue with the LED itself. And a lot of these lights are easy to mod/fix. I've done a bit of that myself.

Nice that they had an LED conversion though. That happened with my Streamlight Stinger that I used at work. It was an 'off inventory' item that I picked up from uniform supply nearly 20 years ago. Along the way they upgraded them to LED including mine. Since it was off inventory I didn't have to turn it in when I retired.

Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

I like those little TLR-6 units

I believe insight Technologies became Streamlight so you should be able to get service. 150 lumens is still plenty even though we've gone lumen crazy.
ratf51
Board Founder

Post by ratf51 »

The M3X is built like a tank. If it were to ever stop working (which I doubt) I would simply replace it. And, yes, the spill from the light is ample to illuminate any room in my house.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I have a 1000 Lumen on my AK