Gen 4 Glocks going bye-bye

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

Gen 4 Glocks going bye-bye

Post by David »

So according to the following release from Glock, the Gen 4 9mm models are being discontinued except for military and L.E. contracts. July 1st is the last date. From that point only Gen 3 and Gen 5 9mm models will be produced for the public.

Additionally, and of interest to me, it looks like additional calibers will be added to the Gen 5 line up. As those calibers begin in Gen 5 they'll be phased out of Gen 4 production.

I would be very interested in a Gen 5 Glock 23FS. I'd be very tempted to make that my EDC.

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Re: Gen 4 Glocks going bye-bye

Post by David »

End Of An Era: No More GLOCK Gen4 Guns; .40S&W Will Go Gen5

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/202 ... gen4-guns/

"In an effort to intelligently preserve and grow the GLOCK brand and deliver uncompromised quality and maximum customer satisfaction, we are focused on our mission of future-oriented manufacturing technologies. This includes extending the latest Gen5 technology enhancements to the .40 caliber line of pistols. Availability will begin in October; however, the focus will be on supporting existing .40 caliber agencies on transitioning to the latest technologies within the law enforcement market. While we will continue to support fielded Gen4 pistols and agencies with Gen4 models, we have stopped 9×19 and .40 caliber Gen4 productions for the US commercial market. We look forward to bringing the performance improvements of the Gen5 technologies to other areas of product development."
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

I doubt anyone will truly miss them.
The Gen 5 is better and the Gen 3 was in most ways.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Looking for that Gen 5 G23FS :)

Then I'll get a 357sig and 9mm conversion barrel and call it good.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

https://www.all4shooters.com/en/shootin ... or-brazil/

The extensive testing for the solicitation included endurance testing, parts interchangeability testing, precision testing, and drop testing from a distance of 2 meters to simulate pistols being dropped from mounted units and was done from six different angles, totaling 64 drops. The endurance testing consisted of 10,000 rounds on each of four test pistols without cleaning or lubrication during the test. As GLOCK America’s Managing Director Patrick Voller explains, “All tests were implemented in a very transparent and public manner as any interested party could participate in these tests as observers.”

I would consider going 10K rounds without cleaning or lubrication to be a substantial test that should provide a fairly high level of comfort. Since parts of the slide are reported to be thicker it may indeed offset the lack of the third pin. Will a Gen 5 in 40 S&W go hundreds of thousands of rounds like we know 9mm and 45acp are capable of doing? Don't know yet. But 10K is a pretty good starting point to work off.

fastbolt

Post by fastbolt »

It makes sense that Glock would finally decide to "standardize" by distilling their model lines down to the Gen3 & Gen5 guns. That would keep them competitive nationally and internationally.