HK Thread

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

Re: HK Thread

Post by David »

David wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:08 pm Think my HK itch has been scratched :D

Traded for an HK USP Compact V1 9mm tonight.

Reposting this range report here for my future reference.

HK USP Compact - Okay, this is the first time I've shot a USP. I originally got it in 9mm but I later bought a complete 40 S&W upper for it. I decided to put the 40 slide on and test it in this configuration. Just like it's P2000 40 S&W cousin I loved it! The texturing is a bit more aggressive than the P2000 but I didn't notice it at all while firing. And it was 'balls on' accurate! Very happy about it. I had it out around or a bit past 15 yards and head shots were a snap. I ended the session by shooting the little target in the upper left hand corner of the target at around 20 yards. Most shots were touching and all shots easily fit in less than the palm of my hand. I fired the first shot DA and the rest SA. The DA of course was a longer, heavier trigger pull but was still very crisp. Having started my career on revolvers, this DA trigger pull was a piece of cake. The SA trigger pull was like butter soft. So I'm very happy with this pistol. Now I need to make the decision to either swap the night sights from the 9mm slide to the 40 slide or purchase new sights for the 40 slide. I might see about carrying this pistol a bit to see how well I like it as an EDC. It would be the heaviest pistol I have currently in that compact size, but I have a good holster and that Kore Essential CCW gun belt so it would be a good test all the way around.

My son popped off a mag through the USPc and liked it as well.

If I like carrying the USPc I might just order sights for it. It would make a dandy 40 to carry for EDC if I handle the weight well. If not, maybe it will compete with the P2000 as a woods carry or maybe just stay as a HD pistol. In which case I'll just put the 9mm barrel back on for HD.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

As I detailed above, I got the chance to shoot the USPc. It shot great, as I expected. When I got home my son and I went for a walk around the neighborhood. I decided to don the Kore Essential belt and carry the USPc40. It's 6+ ounces heavier than a G23 would be and 10+ ounces heavier than my P365. So it's fairly substantial over the other two choices. And since it was hot-n-humid outside it was a good test. My determination is that while I 'could' carry this pistol as an EDC, I don't think I'd want to. In the past I've carried full sized pistols like the G17. These days though that P365 sure feels a lot better, particularly in a Florida summer and shorts. It was just a heavy pistol. I just don't think I'd want to be carrying it around all day if I had other appropriate choices.

Now as an open carry, like when I'm out hiking/camping may be a different thing. So for now I've put the 9mm slide back on (it has night sights) and it's a good HD pistol.

As far as a G23, it's looking more and more like they'll be producing one in the Gen 5 platform. If so, I'll get one. I might carry my G19.5FS around a bit because it would be virtually the same as a G23.5. See if I like it well enough or if I've just gotten too spoiled by the P365, lol.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

HK P2000 40-to-9 conversion.

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/ ... 8200032134

40 barrel muzzle view:

9mm barrel muzzle view:

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Todd Green HK45 Endurance Test: Week Thirty Seven

http://pistol-training.com/archives/4027

David
Administrator

Post by David »

HK45 Interview with Ken Hackathorn and Larry Vickers

https://pistol-training.com/articles/hk ... ry-vickers

David
Administrator

Post by David »

David wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:39 am As I detailed above, I got the chance to shoot the USPc. It shot great, as I expected. When I got home my son and I went for a walk around the neighborhood. I decided to don the Kore Essential belt and carry the USPc40. It's 6+ ounces heavier than a G23 would be and 10+ ounces heavier than my P365. So it's fairly substantial over the other two choices. And since it was hot-n-humid outside it was a good test. My determination is that while I 'could' carry this pistol as an EDC, I don't think I'd want to. In the past I've carried full sized pistols like the G17. These days though that P365 sure feels a lot better, particularly in a Florida summer and shorts. It was just a heavy pistol. I just don't think I'd want to be carrying it around all day if I had other appropriate choices.

Now as an open carry, like when I'm out hiking/camping may be a different thing. So for now I've put the 9mm slide back on (it has night sights) and it's a good HD pistol.

As far as a G23, it's looking more and more like they'll be producing one in the Gen 5 platform. If so, I'll get one. I might carry my G19.5FS around a bit because it would be virtually the same as a G23.5. See if I like it well enough or if I've just gotten too spoiled by the P365, lol.
Decided to give this another go. The first time (above) I think I was wearing cargo shorts. This time I was wearing jean shorts. I had to run some errands which included a trip to Costco. Using the Kore Essential belt the USPc40 was doable this time. Heavier of course than the P365 but I didn’t feel weighed down this time. I was more aware of the pistol but that is to be expected. Brought me back to the times I wore a larger pistol like a G17 or even G19/23. So no, this isn’t the pistol I’d want on me for 6-8 hours just visiting family and friends. But for out-and-about shopping it would probably be fine. Little more experimentation is warranted.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Modern Classic: The Heckler & Koch USP

https://www.range365.com/modern-classic ... -koch-usp/

According to one HK engineer, Federal Ammunition had an early 1990s USP in their gun room that they used for proofing loads. They returned it to H&K for a checkup almost 20 years later. In all that time, the recoil springs had been replaced, but nothing else. The pistol was in fine operational shape. Curious, the HK engineer asked how many rounds had been through that particular handgun. The answer: a little over 297,000.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

HK USP: Past Present & Future, Part I

http://www.smallarmsreview.com/display. ... icles=3556

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Received the enhanced mag release and night sights for the USPc. Installed them both. That enhance mag release really is a practical mod. Much easier to manipulate than the stock piece. Night sights are always a plus. Waiting for the 357sig barrel to ship and then it will be a 3-in-1 pistol. Project complete and GTG.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

My new HK hotness.... :)

HK USP 45. Night sights, 6 mags, Talon grip and rail adapter (not pictured). I can already feel myself looking down at lesser gun owners :mrgreen: