HK Thread

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

HK Thread

Post by David »

I guess I'm on an HK kick lately. I picked up the P2000 I mentioned in the other thread;

I just picked up a P30 this morning;

It's a V3 with decocker. Came with three 15-round mags and Blackhawk holster. Has the lum sights. I've had several P30SK's in the past but this is the first full size P30 I've owned.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Re: HK Thread

Post by Ronin.45 »

Must be getting close to spring. Dave is buying and trading again😆
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Ronin.45 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:15 pm Must be getting close to spring. Dave is buying and trading again😆
Well, here's my story :mrgreen:

My EDC needs are met. My HD needs are met. Wife and son needs are met. So now it's time to expand into some areas of 'fun' stuff. Been wanting to get back into hammer-fired DAO and DA/SA pistols. So this scratches a couple of different itches (V2 and V3). Might possibly trade a spare LC9s for a S&W 5906 in a couple of days which would be another DA/SA hammer-fired pistol. We'll see if that happens.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Range report:

Yesterday afternoon I took my niece's husband to the range. He doesn't have any firearms but is interested (and he's shot with me before). I took a sampling of five different pistols, the P2000 V2 .40 S&W and the P30 V3 9mm were two of those pistols. Wow! I really enjoyed each of those pistols. Starting off with the P30, the DA trigger pull was very nice and smooth. The SA, of course, was even lighter and smoother. It was an easy transition between the two. Accuracy was simply superb. Gave me a chance to show him various types of triggers such as DA/SA, DAO and striker). I might play around with the side panels and back strap a bit but it was very comfortable to shoot with the panels and strap that are on there now.

The P2000 turned out to be my favorite between the two, though it was a tough call. During one string of fire I put the target out to about 15 yards and was shooting the little scoring box in the upper right corner. Well, I'm not a world-class pistol shot but I am, in all modesty, a very good shot. I use to do head shots at 25 and 35 yards with my G26. But I was exceedingly pleased with how well the P2000 grouped the shots in that little box. Most shots touching and many going through the same hole. That pistol, even with the stouter .40's was pleasant and a joy to shoot. This is definitely going to be my new woods-carry pistol. That allows the G22.4 to stay on HD duty (which gives me a high capacity Glock at each end of the house as well as in the middle).

So as mentioned above, my EDC and HD needs are met with the Glocks and Sig P365 so this allows the HK's do be used for woods-carry duty and matches. I'm very pleased with these two pistols.

On the advice of on of the GT members in the HK section, I ordered an extended mag release for the P2000. That is scheduled to arrive Saturday. I also ordered a few boxes of .357sig ammo so that I can try that barrel in the P2000. Should arrive Friday. Hopefully it will be just as pleasant to shoot as the .40 S&W. Don't really plan to carry with .357sig but wanted to have the option and some experience with it.

Strayz

Post by Strayz »

I like to also put out there for those that are looking in to different brands and what have you. You, David, have seen through the BS smoke out there.

The .40 it can be had for a steel of a deal these days because gun shops are telling people that no one is using it and it is going to go away. When the reality it is not going anywhere. After 40 years of use by many PDs much like the .38 special. It is going to be available for at least 10-20 years down the road easley. There is nothing short of many hundreds of thousands still out there in the back of the safe, under the seats of trucks, or in nightstands throughout this nation. As time move along the prices will fall as gun shops and stores try to get rid of the old ammo. I see large box or cases of it come up from time to time.
Sometimes things need to be said, Other times things must be done.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Strayz wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:02 pm I like to also put out there for those that are looking in to different brands and what have you. You, David, have seen through the BS smoke out there.

The .40 it can be had for a steel of a deal these days because gun shops are telling people that no one is using it and it is going to go away. When the reality it is not going anywhere. After 40 years of use by many PDs much like the .38 special. It is going to be available for at least 10-20 years down the road easley. There is nothing short of many hundreds of thousands still out there in the back of the safe, under the seats of trucks, or in nightstands throughout this nation. As time move along the prices will fall as gun shops and stores try to get rid of the old ammo. I see large box or cases of it come up from time to time.
This is prime time to jump into 40 S&W. While agencies and individuals are jumping on the FBI bandwagon (not the best plan imo) pistols in 40 S&W are at an all time deal (for the most part). Police trade-ins as well as many folks thinking the caliber is going to dry up and blow away. The caliber held too much of a position in the L.E. community for quite a length of time. So many were produced that it will continue strong for decades. And many of us that have been in this game long enough know the pendulum swings back and forth. At some point, some major agency is going to go from 9mm or 45acp to the 40 S&W and it will blow up the internet for a few months and then folks will start looking to buy pistols in that caliber and the prices will go up. But for now, I'm quite happy that folks think the caliber is dead. Makes for quite the deals available.

And to be honest, although I very much like 9mm and the pistols I have that use that caliber, 40 S&W is the way to go in terms of prepping imo. With the 40 S&W platform you can also convert to 9mm or 357sig which gives you a 3-in-1 pistol and a lot of options. So I am very happy with both my Glock 22.4 and now my HK P2000. I already have a 9mm conversion barrel for the Glock (and see no reason to get a 357sig barrel for it unless I see an absolute deal I can't pass up) and may eventually have to look into a 9mm conversion barrel for the P2000.

I like options. :)

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Have you ever shot the HK LEM Dave?
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bob wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:42 pm Have you ever shot the HK LEM Dave?
I've owned an HK P30SK V1 LEM. Smooth as glass. Really an excellent trigger imo. The P2000 has a V2 which is just an LEM trigger that is a tad heavier pull. But still smooth as glass and very pleasant to shoot. Again, imo.

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Everyone I know who went to an LEM trigger hated it at first, and then thought it was the best thing ever. But then again, it's HK.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

They’re making a 17-round magazine now for the P30/VP9 pistols.

https://www.xtechtactical.com/product/h ... -magazine/