19X

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

19X

Post by David »

When the Glock 19X first hit the seen a few years ago I was like 'meh'. I remember another Deputy at work that was my partner for a year was like all into the 19X. I didn't see the attraction. But in all honesty, I hadn't shot it either. About a year or so after it was introduced I started to rethink it a bit for a HD pistol. The 19+1 capacity it was capable of was very attractive for a night stand pistol. A local hole-in-the-wall shop offered them for less than blue label so I decided to buy one for that role. Don't know how he was able to offer it for less than BL, didn't care. And that 19X was the first and only Glock I've ever purchased new in a gun shop. All my other ones were purchased or traded for on the used market, although I did get some used but 'new/unfired'.

Since then I've picked up two more for a total of three. Just seemed to make sense, again for the HD role. But in the past month or so I've carried my G19.5FS a bit in place of my P365 and enjoyed it. This got me thinking about carrying the 19X. I use to carry my G17.2 back in the 90's. That was my first Glock and enjoyed it and could carry it concealed with a T-shirt just fine. So really the 19X shouldn't be an issue either.

Tomorrow is another Outlaw match. I had thought about shooting the HK UPSc40 again. I enjoyed it last week and it shot great. But rethinking it a bit, I figure this would be a very good opportunity to shoot the 19X and see how I like it as both a carry and match pistol. I have to admit, as much as I like the G19, the 19X just feels better in the hand. I have larger hands with long fingers. So a G17 sized grip has always felt good. I use the medium back strap on all my Glocks as I like the beaver tail look and it feels good. So I'm leaning towards shooting the 19X tomorrow with the two 19-round mags and the one 17-round mag and then carrying it to dinner afterwards. Actually, I'll carry it to the range as well. If it's something I can see myself carrying on a regular basis I'd carry with the 17-round mag in the pistol and a 19-round spare mag. I have plenty of G17 mags (that will fit) as well. I'll report back.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Re: 19X

Post by Ronin.45 »

While I much prefer the full-size grip, I still don't see much advantage to the shorter slide.
The only one that makes any sense to me is the G45 MOS. Put a threaded barrel on it and it would be a shorter suppressor host with a full grip. The MOS would allow a Holosun 507c and negate the shorter sight radius.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

For me the 19X feels better in the hand than the G19.5FS. The G19 is totally fine, but the 19X, for me, simply feels better and more balanced all the way around.

I didn't shoot it at the Outlaw match last week like I planned. Ended up shooting the Sig P365 instead and glad I got a chance to run it through it's paces. Next match though I plan on shooting the 19X.

Son and I went for a walk this afternoon so I donned the 19X with 17-round mag and the 19-round mag in the spare Kytex Shooting Gear mag holder to try out. As expected it felt fine, no issues. I didn't expect any as I use to carry a G17.2. Still have it on now as I type this just to give it some more 'wear' time.

With the Pl-Mini 2 Valkyrie attached (and 17-round mag) it weighs in a a total of 34.3 ounces. Almost the same as my HK USPc40. The difference is 13 rounds of 40S&W vs. 18 rounds of 9mm. Five rounds is fairly substantial.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

I agree that the 17 sized grip feels much better. That's why I've never owned a 19 for longer than it took to sell. I think I've had 3 or 4 over the years from trades or so cheap I couldn't pass them up. They always move on quickly.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

This is the 19X in my CCW rotation. 17-round mag in the pistol and a 19-round back up mag in my Kytex shooting Gear mag along with the kydex holster that fits the Olight Pl-Mini 2 Valkyrie WML.

These two are the night stand pistol w/TLR-8 (top) and another HD 19X (bottom). The Olight was moved from the bottom one to the EDC 19X. I may add another WML to the HD pistol at some point. These two have the 19-round mag in the pistol.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Ronin.45 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:37 pm I agree that the 17 sized grip feels much better. That's why I've never owned a 19 for longer than it took to sell. I think I've had 3 or 4 over the years from trades or so cheap I couldn't pass them up. They always move on quickly.
And the 19X isn't anymore difficult to conceal than the G17, actually a tad easier. Gives that full sized combat pistol feel.

Gary

Post by Gary »

David I don't have three of them, In fact I only have one coming..
I have liked the look of these since 1/22/18 but have yet to fire one
Thanks for the link to this forum too BTW
I've been here lurking for 13 months
Kinda Scary Isn't it..
My 1st Post
Gary aka HEADKNOCKER aka Hk-USPC-40 aka Glock 17L
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Hey Gary, good to see you on the board! :D

Yep, been following your journey to the 19X. You won't be disappointed. The 10X/G45 really have become my favorite Glocks. And like I mentioned in the OP, 20 rounds on tap for bump-in-the-night situations is comforting. I've found the balance of the pistol to be outstanding. I like the grip texturing of the Gen 4/5 models better than the previous Gens. And to be honest, the color really grew on me.

I actually had four but my son kept hinting around that he'd like to 'try' it out. So I gave him one. He was quite pleased.

Looking forward to you picking your 19X up and seeing how you like it when you hit the range.