Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
whats in your first aid kit
i have 2 totes full of everything under the sun, from bandades to a complete surgical kit.
I know the difference between purchasing sterile bandages/gauze/tape rolls and the non sterile. So does my pocketbook.

While shtf has not happened, I will not use the non-sterile items. If time permits after shtf, they can be sterilized without resorting to a UV machine or an autoclave. I also have surgical tools. I am reserving them for a person more qualified than I to do basic under shtf conditions.

This last year, I started carrying commercial torniquets/Israeli bandages in the trunk of the car. Previously, I had them only in the house as I rarely drive anymore.
My question would be which kit? I have a kit in my EDC bag, each vehicle has a kit, we have a kit in each range bag, we have a kit in each GHB, I have a small kit in my briefcase, daughter has a small kit in a book bag, we have a home first aid kit, we have a kit for the dog and we have several containers full of supplies that aren't kits, but have lots of supplies in them. Plus, we have the stuff in the bathrooms cabinets.

At the end of the year if we have money left in FSA, we spend it getting various medical supplies.
In addition to the normal stuff (bandages, gloves, stethoscope, BP cuff, ointments, OTC meds etc) we have a lot of alternative medicine.  Essential oils and colloidal silver being two main stay items.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Comment on medical supplies, although I am preaching to the choir.

Many years ago, I was going to places where medical supplies were difficult, if not impossible to obtain. Once, I had to buy individual pills in a pharmacy in Kabul - yep, that was the way they were sold 40 years ago. I was keeping track of how often I was sick and for how long. It averaged out to be one in ten days over a period of a year.

People want to fantasize about bugging out like in the Rocky Green Beret movies. The reality is closer to this - someone in your group is going to be sick or injured and you have to plan around it. I decided one day that the ideal travel group was three. The sick person to stay with and keep the gear safe and the other two people would explore, shop, and buddy up.

People fantasize that they buy a book and they can perform gunshot surgery. Won't be possible. What is most likely are a bad stomach, an abrasion, a cut, a puncture wound, torn finger nails, blisters, toe infections. Sure, I have surgical tools/air splints, etc. Those are reserved for people with the skills - doctors/dentists/biologists experienced in dissecting animals, etc.

In the last week, 3x3 and 4x4 gauze compresses came in. May never use them, so what? The fabric rolls started coming in today. The expenditures are like paying an insurance premium. The items will not bad.
Better to have and not need than need and not have....
as stated, they don't go bad.