Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many ways do you need?
I'm setting here wondering how many ways do I actually need to start a fire?

I have regular matchbook matches. I have multiple boxes of strike anywhere matches. I have a box of waterproof/windproof matches. I have a dozen or more magnesium fire starter rods. I have magnifying glass.  I have Bic lighters, Zippo lighters, and various other lighters. I've watched how to start fires using water and a plastic bag. 

The only thing I don't know is how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together unless on of them is a strike anywhere match. I follow 3-2, 2-1, 1-0 philosophy and I think I have fire starting fairly covered. We have store bought tender, we have homemade tender, and I'm old school using just whatever twigs, leaves, and such I could fine laying around I have been able to get fires going. My grandpa taught me about feathering and making kindling (he didn't call that, he just said this is how we start a fire). 

Yet, I'm always wondering if there is something I'm missing that I should know.
I noticed Flint and Steel is missing from your list. It's a really cool way to start a fire.
Good kit: https://www.amazon.com/Primitive-Fire-De...+and+steel

Quote:
"The only thing I don't know is how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together unless one of them is a strike anywhere match."

I haven't mastered the friction fire yet either...
Steel wool and a 9v battery.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Cotton ball and rust or cotton ball and wood ash or fire pistons or parabolic mirror clorine tablet and break fluid pump drill and a board fire thong prison match jumper cables and a car battery with a pencil
I have steel wool and 9v batteries, guess I should listed that one.

The long list ghost provided I will have to research. Not sure a cotton ball and rust starts a fire?
Fire is an important aspect of preparedness imo.  Regulating core body temperature, cooking food, disinfecting water, signalling for rescue, defense against animals, psychological comfort etc.  I think it's important to carry a couple of ways to start a fire on your person.  What those two methods are is personal preference.  Important also is knowing multiple ways to start a fire for the 'just in case' situation.  

Look in the DIY section and you'll see my fire-starter wafers and fuel tabs thread.  In this section is my video (that Bob took) on char cloth which is really a cool idea.  Joe (Ghost) has several good threads with interesting ways.  

I carry a Zippo, ferro rod and a peanut lighter on my person and have mini-Bics in my EDC bag.  But I want to know as many ways as I can to get fire started, just-in-case.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
(07-25-2017, 02:36 PM)bmyers Wrote: I have steel wool and 9v batteries, guess I should listed that one.

The long list ghost provided I will have to research. Not sure a cotton ball and rust starts a fire?

Here you go

https://youtu.be/GQWYHA76IOs

(07-25-2017, 06:28 PM)ghost Wrote:
(07-25-2017, 02:36 PM)bmyers Wrote: I have steel wool and 9v batteries, guess I should listed that one.

Here you go

https://youtu.be/GQWYHA76IOs

Here you go ask

https://youtu.be/3RgW7m_j8MU
WOW, that cotton ball and rust is neat! Never knew you could do that. I'm going to have to give that a try.
Joe always has the coolest videos. You should see him in person! We got the privilege of having him at a couple of SEP gatherings .
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
You only need one - but it has to work!

I am a fan of three:
#1 Bic lighter (too cheap and easy to have to make it difficult - get a few)
#2 Striker. we can argue which is best, bottom line is they all work
#3 KNOWLEDGE - primitive skills are always in style, if a bit effortful. I'm a fan of the little wood boat / friction method. And knowing how to build from starter to kinfdle to fuel is key also!

A little accelerant never hurts either. I generally have some alcohol hand cleanser, some packaged fire starters, and cotton + vaseline, or Davis fire chips.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Make a Fire With AA batteries And a Bubble Gum Wrapper and other ways JRSC 13 4,437 10-16-2016, 11:30 AM
Last Post: David