Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
License?
Question 
So what's involved in obtaining a license?  Are there different levels or just one?  What is the material to study and what does it cost?

Any additional information would be appreciated as well.  Thanks. Smile
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
It's all out there,I'm working on getting a entry level ticket.I use pmrs radios daily and you being leo are on air as soon as you check 10/8.I have the nasty feeling my "job" is going ta require dispatch get tickets.I'm trying ta beat the rush.'08.

I know.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Gaye Levy at Backdoor Survival has a series of articles on getting your HAM license. Basic license is very easy and be done on line.
(07-24-2015, 05:16 PM)lfos847 Wrote: Gaye Levy at Backdoor Survival has a series of articles on getting your HAM license. Basic license is very easy and be done on line.

Gotta link?

http://www.backdoorsurvival.com/
(08-06-2015, 07:19 PM)lfos847 Wrote: http://www.backdoorsurvival.com/

Thank you sir. Smile

There are 3 different classes of Ham now. Basically, the first level is FM only, above 30mhz.. The second gives you AM and SSB below 30mhz, and the third gives you a couple of specialized pocket bands.

I'm a tech.. For SHTF, I really don't care to communicate with people at long distances. I want to know what's happening around me, close by. So I don't see the need for HF. Also, if something really happens, no one will really check in on who is licensed or not, so it doesn't much matter
I'd get the gear just to listen to traffic,I'm a scanner junkie.I've got a small radio room,scanners/CBs.In an event INFO is vital,if you know the 5ws you can prepare for/avoid it.I've got 3 scanners going rt now,a pro 164 a bc 396 digital and a pro 46.The pro 46 is a hell of a scanner,I keep a bc 850xlt at work.It handles the l/f traffic and the 164 handles the trunking aspect of traffic.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
I hold and extra ticket/20wpm cw and as a hobby build radios ( mostly kits ).
Have some real small low powered HF units that take almost no power to run but at the same time can run a lot of wattage out off grid if needed due to large storage batteries with solar backup.

No one going to check on lic's if it get bad, but the real advantage of a lic is the knowledge that you obtain while getting it.
I also hold an extra ticket.
Get your general, it gives you the world. And is dead simple. Just go to QRZ and use their study exams--all the questions are there and known. The difference between tech and general is not a lot question wise, and you can go for both at the same session--it is what I did. Of course getting a license is just a license to learn. You have to do it to be able to use it. And I warn you, it can be another BRD, just use radio rather than rifle.
I was a DJ for about 15 years (was #1 in my town for many years) in a previous life, class C 100 K watt FM station. I am still blown away that I can talk to the world with 30 watts and a wire in my backyard.