Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Luiton LT-898UV ham radio review
As I mentioned several weeks ago, i had planned to buy one of those super cheap Chinese mobile ham radios on Amazon to make a go kit out of and also to have a toy to play with. 

So I did.

I bought a LT-898UV, which is a 5 watt dual band radio. It's freq range is actually huge and covers  business band, marine, ham, FRS, GMRS..  So, you dont' have to wide band/free band the radio, it's already done.

This thing is TINY.   Like 1.5 times a pack of cigarettes.   The audio is super loud. I've read many reports of the microphone quality being bad, so I did the mic hole mod, which is talked about a lot

So, here's the down side.. The manual is freaking terrible. Also, my programming cable didn't work. I contacted the vendor. I got my radio in 1 day since it shipped just down the road here in Texas, but a new programming cable took almost 3 weeks to get here from China.  I've been messing with it the last 2 days.  I can't get CHIRP to work with it, but the programming software (after i figured out how to change it to English) isnt' terrible.

What i just discovered, however, is that the radio only has 25 memories, which isn't enough for my local stuff PLUS all my 'emergency' freq (business band, FRS, GMRS etc).. So, i'm going to have to give some thoughts as to what to actually program into it.

I also learned that some settings you HAVE to do in the radio and you have to do every time, on every channel, when you program it (like turning on the names) which is annoying as hell.

So, it's a new toy. We shall see.

It got me thinking, if there was anyone out there that would pay for a 'turn key, already programmed' radio for SHTF. I'm still planning to turn this into a battery pack D cell kit, just for the fun of it..
(05-31-2017, 10:58 PM)ric0123 Wrote: As I mentioned several weeks ago, i had planned to buy one of those super cheap Chinese mobile ham radios on Amazon to make a go kit out of and also to have a toy to play with. 

So I did.

I bought a LT-898UV, which is a 5 watt dual band radio. It's freq range is actually huge and covers  business band, marine, ham, FRS, GMRS..  So, you dont' have to wide band/free band the radio, it's already done.

This thing is TINY.   Like 1.5 times a pack of cigarettes.   The audio is super loud. I've read many reports of the microphone quality being bad, so I did the mic hole mod, which is talked about a lot

So, here's the down side.. The manual is freaking terrible. Also, my programming cable didn't work. I contacted the vendor. I got my radio in 1 day since it shipped just down the road here in Texas, but a new programming cable took almost 3 weeks to get here from China.  I've been messing with it the last 2 days.  I can't get CHIRP to work with it, but the programming software (after i figured out how to change it to English) isnt' terrible.

What i just discovered, however, is that the radio only has 25 memories, which isn't enough for my local stuff PLUS all my 'emergency' freq (business band, FRS, GMRS etc).. So, i'm going to have to give some thoughts as to what to actually program into it.

I also learned that some settings you HAVE to do in the radio and you have to do every time, on every channel, when you program it (like turning on the names) which is annoying as hell.

So, it's a new toy. We shall see.

It got me thinking, if there was anyone out there that would pay for a 'turn key, already programmed' radio for SHTF. I'm still planning to turn this into a battery pack D cell kit, just for the fun of it..

I thought the LT898UV is a 10 watt radio.
You are correct
I've been looking at the 725UV, 25 watt, 128 memory about $20 more than the 898

I would however be interested in how your project turns out.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ham Radio go kits part 2. Who would buy one? ric0123 8 2,376 05-06-2017, 06:08 PM
Last Post: ric0123
  Mini mobil multi band radio mac66 1 1,424 10-13-2015, 03:36 PM
Last Post: Tom Mac
  Yes! There’s a FM radio in your phone… but they don’t let you use it. David 0 1,139 09-06-2015, 03:15 PM
Last Post: David
  [split] USB SDR (Software Defined Radio) Racer 3 2,175 07-15-2015, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Racer