Poll: What do you regularly EDC?
Bic (or other disposeable lighter)
Zippo
Both
Other
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bic or Zippo?
Did you replace it with another orange Zippo?
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Question 

Thoughts?

I don't carry a fire starter.  I have various ways of starting a fire which I keep in the car and at home.  I no longer go for strolls far from either, so I don't carry.

I will now address zippo lighters.  I have them in a snap ware container in the garage with extra flints and a couple of cans of lighter fluid.  At one time, I kept filled lighters, but the liquid eventually evaporates in a zippo if not used.  I researched on google.  The fluid is good past my lifetime if kept in the original bulk fluid container.  So, I  bought another bulk container on sale at the supermarket for under $2 last week.
I'm that's good to know about the shelf life.  I would imagine that Naptha would be the same.

Thank you David. Without knocking the video, I would like to give a response with an explanation.

Years ago, I faced the same dilemma. Supposedly, Bic was putting out non-refillable lighters. Over time, the fluid would usually evaporate. So, I chose easily refillable Zippos and bought a bunch. Although the fluid also evaporates over time in a Zippo, I have unopened refill containers of fluid. I also picked up a number of magnesium related starter systems and placed them in strategic locations.

Now I fast forward to 2018. I see this video and then I wonder if a Bic lighter can be refilled. I look on youtube and see how.

My responses. 1. I don't carry a char cloth in my car, in a backpack. I will not allow myself to get into a situation wherein I must conserve a Bic lighter or refill the same. I will have alternatives. 2. There is a value in learning refill skills of transferring propane from a large container to a smaller container. You have to be careful because most of the youtube videos are incorrect or require conditions of cold which require electrical power access or a cold weather environment. And, many of those videos do not describe the procedure for making sure that a smaller container is never overfilled. I have the required set up and tools for that effort. 3. When a person watches many of the survival videos, only part of the picture is revealed. Examples follow.

Many of the American Indians were sedentary. They weren't riding horses all around (brought by the Spanish) and moving from place to place and building a new fire drill and starting over again. When they moved, they carried the fire with them. A person had a responsibility to the group to keep a banked fire going when goods were being moved by dogs dragging household goods.

"Modern approach". Go to the dryer. The dust balls are very dangerous because they are combustible. They cause fires when a spark hits them and are a leading cause of house fires. Pull a small ball in a sealable plastic baggie with a very cheap Red Chinese magnesium fire starter piece of metal and magnesium. Problem solved with less weight and more reliability.

Ok. So assume that I watch the video on how to refill a Bic lighter. I need to practice. I need special tools. I still need to have the fluid (like I have to have with my zippos). All this assumes that I have the TIME after shtf. One of the important things overlooked in videos is time allocation and the learning curve. You, as probably the only person in the survival group with skills, are you going to making homemade gunpowder, reloading, refilling a Bic lighter? Of course not.
I put it out there as an option.  I remember Cody Lundin taking a dried up Bic and slowly rotating the wheel to get the flint dust to collect.  Kind of like you'd do with magnesium when you shave it.  Once he got a small amount he used the spark from the Bic to ignite the flint dust to then light the tinder bundle.  Just shows the options that are available in a pinch.

Smile

Those plasma eletronic lighters use litium batteries and they tend to fail after afew years even under ideal conditions. I would not trust them for normal use let alone survival, acouple of times down the legion hall (british vfw) i have seen them fail, notice that because it was acompanied by "i only bought this piece of crap afew weeks ago!" type of commment but more colourful. Also never seen one that is waterproof, they get wet and poof you at least kill the electronics at worst a litium fire.

I have pretty muched switiched to butane lighters. Even my zippo has a aftermarket butane insert in it now. Soft flame and jet type insert i got off fleabay, they work fine no problems in the 4 months i have used them. The jet lighter version does suprise most people when you offer them a light.
(09-09-2018, 11:54 AM)Wolfman Wrote: Those plasma eletronic lighters use litium batteries and they tend to fail after afew years even under ideal conditions. I would not trust them for normal use let alone survival, acouple of times down the legion hall (british vfw) i have seen them fail, notice that because it was acompanied by "i only bought this piece of crap afew weeks ago!" type of commment but more colourful. Also never seen one that is waterproof, they get wet and poof you at least kill the electronics at worst a litium fire.

I have pretty muched switiched to butane lighters. Even my zippo has a aftermarket butane insert in it now. Soft flame and jet type insert i got off fleabay, they work fine no problems in the 4 months i have used them. The jet lighter version does suprise most people when you offer them a light.

I do wonder about those types of lighters.  Is your insert the one that still uses a flint or is it the pezio electric type?

I've thought about both types of insert for my Zippo on many occasions.  What stops me are these considerations;
  • What if the butane leaks out?
  • In the pezio electric version, what if the electronics fail or it gets wet?
  • What if the temperature is so low the butane doesn't ignite?
With a regular Zippo I know that I can fuel it multiple ways; lighter fluid, naptha, kerosine, gasoline, hand sanitizer etc.  I have an extra wick in the insert as well as several extra flints.  And I can replace wick and flint as needed without any tools so the unit is pretty much self contained.  With the ranger band (bicycle inner tube) I can easily go 2-3 weeks between refills.  Not nearly as good as a peanut lighter with an O-ring but 2-3 weeks isn't bad really.

Just thinking out loud.

I just got back from a elk hunt in Colorado and when you get up to 9500 feet Zippo lighters and bics don't want to work very well and 11,000 feet they hardly work at all.