Poll: What do you regularly EDC?
Bic (or other disposeable lighter)
Zippo
Both
Other
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bic or Zippo?
Very cool!
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I put this video in the Fire Kit thread, but wanted to add it here as well:

I've been storing flints in the bottom of the insert for quite a while.  It never occurred to me to toss in a spare wick.  Funny how you continually pick up little tips and tricks along the way. So I tossed in 4 more flints and a spare wick today and fueled it up.

I have a spare Zippo.  I think I'm going to try an experiment on Monday where I fill it up and then wrap it once or twice with Gorilla duct tape.  Like a ranger band, it should prolong the shelf live but I would think even longer.  Maybe check it in three months and see if it lights up, perhaps even wait six months.

As you all (hopefully) know, I carry both;

I prefer the zippo for general all around fire duties. Stays lit once lit, robust container, feels good in the hand, refillable. Just a lot to love.

However - given the cost of Bic, and importance of fire, absolutely no reason not to have 2 or 3 (or more) in other spots.

I keep my zippo in my pocket for general use. I keep bics in my survival pouch, my main bag, my extended pack, my main pack, my backup survival, and my car. (And of course, strikers just in case!)
(05-25-2017, 10:38 PM)David Wrote: I have a spare Zippo.  I think I'm going to try an experiment on Monday where I fill it up and then wrap it once or twice with Gorilla duct tape.  Like a ranger band, it should prolong the shelf live but I would think even longer.  Maybe check it in three months and see if it lights up, perhaps even wait six months.

Well I filled and wrapped in duct tape yesterday morning (5/29/17).  I'll let it go for a while and then test out the idea.

I picked up a 10 pack of Refillable Butane Cigarette Lighter with LED flashlight and a 12 bottle case of butane refill canisters a while back. I also have a Colibri cigar lighter that has been 100% reliable and two hand held soldering torches. With that much butane I don't think I will run out. As far as the LED flashlight on the lighters they can go dim - I want fire.
Yeah, that should keep you well stocked for quite a while.  Is the Colibri flame or jet?

I need to do more experimenting with those Eagle Jet lighters I bought.  They seem like they'll be fine, hope they are durable/reliable.

Really curious how my Zippo/duct tape experiment will turn out.

The Colibri is a cigar lighter so it is a jet.
(05-30-2017, 12:32 PM)David Wrote:
(05-25-2017, 10:38 PM)David Wrote: I have a spare Zippo.  I think I'm going to try an experiment on Monday where I fill it up and then wrap it once or twice with Gorilla duct tape.  Like a ranger band, it should prolong the shelf live but I would think even longer.  Maybe check it in three months and see if it lights up, perhaps even wait six months.

Well I filled and wrapped in duct tape yesterday morning (5/29/17).  I'll let it go for a while and then test out the idea.

I decided to take the duct tape off this morning and try the Zippo.  It did not light.  Took the insert out and it didn't even have the scent of lighter fluid.  So long term storage of a Zippo is a no-go (so far).  So long term storage goes to the Bic and other disposable lighters and versatility/reusability goes to the Zippo.

Just got some Zippo flints and wicks. Had to replace my Orange Zippo. Lost it! Or just haven't found it yet....HA! So much for hi-viz orange.