Poll: What do you regularly EDC?
Bic (or other disposeable lighter)
Zippo
Both
Other
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bic or Zippo?
(07-15-2015, 09:15 PM)kirgi08 Wrote: Also,keep g10 springs if yers fail.'08.

What the heck is a g10 spring for a Zippo bro??

I keep both...and lots of em, can o naphtha and ranger bands. Just wish somebody made a peanut with the capacity of a big ol Zippo!
"As a matter of Survival, ALL. CREATURES ARE FAIR GAME!"

Les Stroud Big Grin

Special snowflakes will be melted and consumed...I need to stay hydrated!

Big Grin
It's a spring out of a pilot g2 pen,with the 1.0 mm tip size.They can be used to replace a flint spring.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Man..that's good to know..now I don't gotta send a couple to de factory! Already use leftover bic flints fer de Zippo now!
"As a matter of Survival, ALL. CREATURES ARE FAIR GAME!"

Les Stroud Big Grin

Special snowflakes will be melted and consumed...I need to stay hydrated!

Big Grin
The flints in bics are harder than normal flints.They wear out the wheel if used long term.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Zippo Survival Lighter
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.

I bought a jet lighter similar to the one in the video above.  The one I bought is a single jet of flame, not double like in the video.  It says 'Eagle' on the back and comes in black, blue, red and orange (at least where I purchased it).  I bought it at a local oriental flea market type shop.  Cost $3.  I have no idea about the quality of this product, or jet lighters in general but for $3 I figured it was worth a test.

This will be a back up lighter for my EDC bag.  My main lighter is still my Zippo for all the reasons I've listed above.  Have to say though, the jet lighter has an impressive flame on high.  I'll be curious how long it continues to work.  From what I've researched, these types of lighters need to be lit occasionally to keep the vents active and clean.  I also bought a can of 'Bernzomatic' butane at Lowes for when it runs low.  Have no idea if it's a quality butane but we'll see.

(09-10-2016, 03:19 AM)Glockzilla10mm Wrote:
(07-15-2015, 09:15 PM)kirgi08 Wrote: Also,keep g10 springs if yers fail.'08.

What the heck is a g10 spring for a Zippo bro??

I keep both...and lots of em, can o naphtha and ranger bands. Just wish somebody made a peanut with the capacity of a big ol Zippo!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brass-Large-Pean...2246126309

https://countycomm.com/products/stainles...by-maratac

https://countycomm.com/collections/fire

(09-11-2016, 01:40 PM)kirgi08 Wrote: The flints in bics are harder than normal flints.They wear out the wheel if used long term.'08.

I use ronson flints and have bought spare strike barrels from here.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5-pieces...0.0.ZHRiSZ
Those strike barrels fit the Zippo?  I've not seen those before.  

Here's another plus for the Zippo:

The strike barrels are for the clipper brand refillable butane lighter, i have dozens of them when on holiday i use to buy boxes of them with they use to be about $2 a piece as singles and $1 a piece in boxes of 12. The clippers are very durable i still have the first one i bought in 1982 and have edc'ed it pretty much everyday since, no idea how man flints i have gotten trough but the barrel has been replaced 2 times, last time was 18 months ago when the barrel on the striker wore down to the point of not making sparks very well.

When the law changed here to make lighters child safe in 2004 (more PC bollocks) i stocked up on lighters in the month before the old style became illegal to sell and payed pennies on the pound. 1200 flint type disposables 300 electronic disposables from one supplier off fleabay and 600 mixed bag of boxes of 50 refillable flint and electronic from another fleabay seller. Locally i bought all the clippers i could when they where reduced to clear plus 4 display cases (150 per case) full of them again of fleabay.

When i last checked october 2016 all the disposables where still full of butane even after all this time. When i travel to europe i buy butane refill cans just afew cases of 12 at a time because they are less than half the price of the same ones here. Landrover goes over empty and comes back loaded to the gills with cheap gear from our travels. 4 years ago i even bought a trailer which was going cheap and the missus promptly and with great vigour filled it with 700kg of stuff in a 550kg trailer the last 2 days we where in germany.

[Image: clipper-info.jpg]