Poll: What do you regularly EDC?
Bic (or other disposeable lighter)
Zippo
Both
Other
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bic or Zippo?
Both. A Bic will last in storage for quite a while. Also the flints used in a Bic are a bit harder and last a long time in a Zippo. The multi-fuel capability of the Zippo is a big plus. I have used Coleman lantern fuel for my Zippo for years. Be sure to have extra wicks for the Zippo.
The harder flints wear the wheel out faster.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
(08-11-2015, 05:53 AM)kirgi08 Wrote: The harder flints wear the wheel out faster.'08.

I have heard that somewhere else. I used the Zippo for about 4 years before I quit smoking some 27 years ago. I replaced the flints about every 6 months back then with Zippo flints until I ran out of the 5 or so that came in a refill pack. I broke open a spent disposable lighter and robbed the half worn flint and it lasted for almost a year and have done that 2 or 3 times since.  This Zippo is not used much anymore.

I have also replaced the wick in recent years. I use the Zippo maybe one or two weeks out of every year and I don't know when I last replaced the flint. I also have a "spare" Zippo that belonged to my dad. It saw lots of use and was rebuilt by Zippo a few years before my dad passed away. It is like new except for the well worn brass housing.
Zippo seems to really be good with their warranty.  I bought ten of those replacement packs of flints and wicks.  Each pack has 7 flints and 1 wick.  I also harvest the flints out of the odd disposable that I come across.  What's nice about these little flint/wick packs is they're so small and light you can toss them in an EDC easily.  And it was only $5.98 for all 10 packs (after market and not Zippo).
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Zippo warranties the internals and not the cases/hinge.I keep a box of "0" sized paper clips to replace a worn out/broke pin.Ronson wicks are better/last longer than oem does.Also,certain old pens have a spring you can use to repair the flint spring.I know a wee bit about zippos.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
(08-11-2015, 09:36 PM)kirgi08 Wrote: Zippo warranties the internals and not the cases/hinge.I keep a box of "0" sized paper clips to replace a worn out/broke pin.Ronson wicks are better/last longer than oem does.Also,certain old pens have a spring you can use to repair the flint spring.I know a wee bit about zippos.'08.

Hey, I never thought about the possibility of pen spring! Smile

Lately, I've been back into lighters. I'm experimenting with fuel when I can get the chance. I'm going to try a bit of tiki torch fuel. For what it's worth, if it works, I can get much more fuel and find out how tough a Zippo really is.
multiple Bics in every bag...

I have a ranger band that covers the join of the lid and the body of my zippo to reduce the fuel loss and as tinder. I also keep the zippo in my jacket pocket so it does not get as warm also to reduce the evaporation of the fuel. The bic i keep in my right pocket for quick access if needed and a jetlighter in my left cargo pocket.

I also use clipper butane lighters they are refillable and the flints can be replaced i keep several in each bob and afew in my glove box and centre console, never had one fail on me.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IHHO...bw_g121_i4