Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AquaRain and Survivor Filters are the best
About ten years ago I started researching water filtration and purification devices for home use. That research led me to the following criteria. 1. a filtration system with no moving parts--gravity fed only. 2. a system that was rated as a water purification system, not just filtration. 3. a system that was Made in America. 4. .02 absolute micron filters (absolute size, meaning all openings are that size, being far superior to nominal size as nominal means most openings are that size but some can be larger. 5. filters that are cleanable and reusable--the AquaRain filters can be cleaned and reinstalled 200 times. 

After bouncing back an forth between Berkey and AquaRain systems, seven years ago I bought an AquaRain 404 (http://www.aquarain.com) with 4 extra filters. I've never had a problem with it and I'm still on my original set of filters which I have only cleaned once--and that simply because I decided to do so, not because they clogged up.

At that time AquaRain was the only system that passed the EPA's rigorous requirements for listing as a Water Purification system--and it did so with filters that had been cleaned more than 200 times. God alone knows how many thousands of gallons of water I've filtered in the past seven years. Several of my Prepper friends have seen my system (it filters 3 gallons at a time) and we so impressed they bought the same model.

Do yourselves a favor and go to the AquaRain site and check them out. On several other Prepper sites I've seen posts by people who got tired of the expense involved with replacing Berkey filters and started buying and using AquaRain filters in their Berkey systems.

Now, if you're looking for the best portable water filtration device I use Survivor Filters and recently added a the Survivor Filter Pro model as well. I used to use LifeStraws but the Survivor Filter has superior specs and greater ease of use. https://www.survivorfilter.com 

I have no relationship with either AquaRain or Survivor Filter other than as a satisfied customer.

Good luck. It pays to do your research.
Thoughts are the seeds of actions. Actions are the seeds of fate. Be careful what you plant.
Growing Your Own Food is Like Growing Your Own Money
You are welcome to visit my author website  http://www.RaymondDeanWhite.com
Thanks for this information Raymond.  I hadn't heard of either till your post.  So the Aquarain filters fit the Berkey?  That would be awesome to have another avenue for filters for my Berkey!  Filters seem to be less expensive as well.  Berkey is around $107 for two black filters whereas these are just over $80 for two filters.  

In regards to the survivorfilter, how does it compare with Sawyers mini-filter?
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
(05-24-2017, 01:26 PM)David Wrote: Thanks for this information Raymond.  I hadn't heard of either till your post.  So the Aquarain filters fit the Berkey?  That would be awesome to have another avenue for filters for my Berkey!  Filters seem to be less expensive as well.  Berkey is around $107 for two black filters whereas these are just over $80 for two filters.  

In regards to the survivorfilter, how does it compare with Sawyers mini-filter?

David,

People I trust on other Prepper forums have posted about using Aquarain filters in the Berkey. I have only used them in the Aquarain. The Berkey folks make claims about filtering out flouride and other mineral contaminants but that requires a special filter from them--NOT the ones they normally sell for filtering water. Last I checked Aquarain does not make such claims and in fact specifically states their filters do not remove minerals from the water. Maybe that's changed by now. I live in an area where groundwater tends to be very alkaline and running it through my Aquarain the water tastes fine. Oh, and as I lived in Colorado for thirty years I'm used to pure, delicious tap water. I started using my Aquarain in Las Vegas, where the tap water will give you cramps if you're not used to it. Bottom line--I trust Aquarain.

I don't know much about the Sawyer mini-filters so can't tell you how they compare to Survivor Filters. The beauty of the Survivor Filter is it filters down to .01 microns. The Survivor Pro filter has moving parts as it is a pump that can filter more water faster than gravity fed filters--but as I don't want to depend on a filter that has moving parts I own both the Pro and the regular Survivor Filters. I also still have some old LifeStraws I never got around to using up as a further reserve. These filters are in my Get Home bags.
Thoughts are the seeds of actions. Actions are the seeds of fate. Be careful what you plant.
Growing Your Own Food is Like Growing Your Own Money
You are welcome to visit my author website  http://www.RaymondDeanWhite.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Home Brew water filters ric0123 2 1,234 06-01-2017, 02:44 AM
Last Post: Kieller
Information Water filters (on the go) David 17 5,996 11-07-2016, 07:39 PM
Last Post: Gene