Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bee keeping
Admin note:  This conversation was split from the introductory thread and given it's own thread in this area.  Good stuff!  Smile

This is my 3rd season.  I took a class from the local community college that was taught by two guys who had a combined experience total of over 70 years in bees.  Needless to say I learned a LOT.  Extremely helpful and only cost me $75 for about 12 classes.
How many hives do you have?  How much work goes into setting it up/maintaining?  Personal consumption or to sell or both?  This is really something that I've been mulling over for a while now...
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
(04-30-2017, 11:57 AM)David Wrote: How many hives do you have?  How much work goes into setting it up/maintaining?  Personal consumption or to sell or both?  This is really something that I've been mulling over for a while now...

Just one hive right now.  Personal consumption and small gifts to friends and family.  I make mead, beer and wine so I can eat up a lot of honey fast if I choose.  Setting up and maintenance is easy.  If you flat out buy th initial setup you can be out $600-$700.  I check on my bees every 2-3 weeks when things are hopping.  One hive can make anywhere from 20-200 lbs of honey a year depending on how the season went.
(05-04-2017, 02:43 AM)Kieller Wrote:
(04-30-2017, 11:57 AM)David Wrote: How many hives do you have?  How much work goes into setting it up/maintaining?  Personal consumption or to sell or both?  This is really something that I've been mulling over for a while now...

Just one hive right now.  Personal consumption and small gifts to friends and family.  I make mead, beer and wine so I can eat up a lot of honey fast if I choose.  Setting up and maintenance is easy.  If you flat out buy th initial setup you can be out $600-$700.  I check on my bees every 2-3 weeks when things are hopping.  One hive can make anywhere from 20-200 lbs of honey a year depending on how the season went.

Even 20lbs is a lot of honey.  How much room do you find that you need for it?  May be one of the next phases in the self-reliance-homesteading thing for us.

Room for the honey or hive? Honey is dense so 20 lbs doesn't take much room to store.
No, how much room do you find that you need for the hive?  Does it need to be out and away from everything or would being set up in a backyard be fine?

(05-09-2017, 11:45 AM)David Wrote: No, how much room do you find that you need for the hive?  Does it need to be out and away from everything or would being set up in a backyard be fine?

The hive takes up very little room.  Only the size of the hive (3'x2' roughly plus whatever height is required).  I mow around mine without issue, but I don't exactly hang out next to it.  My buddy has his hive in the heart of suburbia near two schools and its just up against his house without issue.  The bees don't bother anyone as long as they don't open the hive up.
(05-10-2017, 10:46 PM)Kieller Wrote:
(05-09-2017, 11:45 AM)David Wrote: No, how much room do you find that you need for the hive?  Does it need to be out and away from everything or would being set up in a backyard be fine?

The hive takes up very little room.  Only the size of the hive (3'x2' roughly plus whatever height is required).  I mow around mine without issue, but I don't exactly hang out next to it.  My buddy has his hive in the heart of suburbia near two schools and its just up against his house without issue.  The bees don't bother anyone as long as they don't open the hive up.

Excellent, good to know.  This may be on the list of things to do.  Another question, does it matter if the hive is in direct sunlight or does it need to be in the shade?  Florida has very hot summers obviously so where to position the hive may or may not be a factor.

Hives can be in direct sunlight or not, it depends on your local. I shelter mine from the north winds to help keep them warmer in the winter months. In FL, you probably won't have to worry about that. If anything, you might want shade so they don't get too hot. They like to keep the hive around 95 degrees, so I doubt shade would be terribly helpful. Might check with your local bee keeping club, they usually have good info for your specific area.