Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
trail camera
I finally broke down and bought a trail camera for my hunting property. Set it up two weeks ago and got back up to cut some wood the last two days and checked the camera.  I had about 20 photos.

Included in the photos were a black bear, a raccoon, skunk, a coyote and another animal I'm not sure of but may be another bear and the rest were deer.  The camera is an infrared motion sensing so the night shots aren't the best. Hard to tell what some of the night shots are.

Of course now I want 3 more cameras for other parts of the property.

Interestingly, the coyote showed up about 30 minutes after a couple deer walked past the camera. He was there about 0640 hours.
Check them the same time every time you go. Allow the animals to pattern you. It's amazing how much they pay attention to us.
History is not dead to the man who would learn how the present came to be what it is.

In The Age Of Information, Ignorance Is A Choice.
(05-13-2017, 04:42 PM)JRSC Wrote: Check them the same time every time you go. Allow the animals to pattern you. It's amazing how much they pay attention to us.

Uh, Yeah....no....  My visits are limited to every other week now that I am doing a week on, week off taking care of my dad after his stroke. Probably not even that often as things come up.

The last three years I've been scouting my food plot 2-3, sometimes 4 evenings a week throughout Sept and Oct. Kind of interesting seeing the same animals show up around the same time and watching their behavior.  I actually recognized (among others) the same two bucks for three years running. They went from 4 pt to 6 to 8 pointers last year. I saw them half a dozen times in Sept and several times during bow season in Oct but always out of range. Didn't see them at all in rifle season.   I am curious if they survived the season.  I think the cameras, as I get them set up in different places will give me an idea if they are still around without the invasion into the habitat as much.

Here's a not so wiley coyote....
[Image: IMAG1095_zpsisbx3t28.jpg]

And the doe he was stalking...

[Image: IMAG1920_zpseb65xysu.jpg]
Way cool!
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Cool I like to set my camera up on gut piles also you would be surprised what comes in and eats on the gut piles.
(05-19-2017, 01:15 AM)ghost Wrote: Cool I like to set my camera up on gut piles also you would be surprised what comes in and eats on the gut piles.

Im new to trail cams, that's a good idea
After a 6 week hiatus I finally got back up the the property and checked the trail camera. Hadn't checked it since late May.

With photobucket screwing the pooch, I switch my photo hosting over to imgur

Starting to see some bucks finally.

These guys were late May, I suspect some of the ones I've seen since might be one or both of these.

[url=http://imgur.co

m/iIcVqlx][Image: iIcVqlx.jpg][/url]

[Image: EwJpYk1.jpg]

This guy was around on June 10

[Image: TaxVbaT.jpg]

If you look at the marks on his back, I think he is the same deer that showed up 6 days later with a some more antler growth.
[Image: 6TKZtZr.jpg]
[Image: VoTp9QA.jpg]

I put up a mineral block on a post for the deer who have completely ignored it. Some other visitors found it interesting enough to tear it down and smash it on the ground.

[Image: r58dG0w.jpg]
[Image: fbQE0Xf.jpg]
[Image: FLzWNRg.jpg]

I find it interesting that these bears were out at 3:30 in the afternoon in June.
you get bears.... all i get are raccoons !
I get racoons, porcupines, coyotes, woodchucks, turkey, opossum as well. Also had a number of does and fawns the last time I pulled the card.

Here is a doe and her fawn
[Image: i3WsiMK.jpg]

Coyote this spring...

[Image: ZTKDiHS.jpg]
Just ordered another trail camera. Should be here next week.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cougar on the trail camera justsaymo 9 2,163 06-01-2017, 02:39 AM
Last Post: Kieller