Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wild Fires and Preparedness
Here is one of my favorite potential SHTF's that most peppers do not adequately prepare for, and as much as hurricane season is looming, it seems fire season is upon us now!

Here is my main point:  You can store all of the food, ammo, and guns you want.  And while I'd argue food is very important, and ammo/guns not so much beyond a fairly low level...

Neither of them are immune to the effects of fire.  And when you need to leave because of fire, they are going top get destroyed most likely.  My opinion (your experience may be different) is that most prepares have too much of this to move with them in any way, shape or form.  They prepare for TEOTWAWKI, instead of a temporary SHTF.

So fire roles through, flattens your supplies, and even you 2 hour a way dugout location (that went first, actually).  Fire gets put out.  Now what?

Do you have all of your legal documents and information ready to go?
Computer backup where it won't burn with your computer?
Capability to haul important items?
A load out plan?
A place to go, and finances to back up being there for a while?
A portable/transferable set of skills to set up business until yours gets back on line?

Flood only hits the low-lands
Fire can hit anywhere!
Fires seem to somewhat geographically limited. In urban areas even the worse fires are limited to a few blocks at most. In the west hundreds of thousands of acres may burn but there usually some warning unless it starts in your woods. In my area and where my cabin is you can't walk a mile in any direction without having to cross a river or stream. Wildfire are pretty self limiting that way.

I had a friend who lost his house to a fire. He said the worse thing was losing all the family photos. Photos and important documents are a bit easier to transport these days with small data storage things like thumb drives and sd cards, not to mention off site storage options like the cloud.

In regards to packing stuff out. I started to consider my guns and ammo and what to do with them if I had to bug out in a hurry with no idea of ever coming back. That led to storing them in grab and go cases that can be grabbed and thrown into a vehicle. Each case has a couple guns, a couple hundred rounds of ammo, mags, parts and cleaning equipment. I have about 5 bags/10 guns set up that way. I probably need to do 10 more.

The other thing I did was to split things between my home and my cabin. The cabin being 170 miles away. Not being at the cabin very much means a concern with storing things there in terms of security. I built a cache away from the cabin to store things in. I've been storing some things there for a few years but have run out of room. I plan on building a year round home up there next year. It will be fire resistant and will include... uh...storage space for stuff. In the mean time I've started making another cache for storing more stuff.

In regard to food and supplies. Going back and forth to my cabin frequently I've set up bins full of food and supplies that I can just throw in the truck. I sometimes don't know how long I'll be gone from a day to a week so I have stuff for at least that long. Supplies include basic camping stuff including paper plates, plastic ware, canned and boxed food, napkins, paper towels, wipes, towels, sheets etc, etc. I also have a travel trailer with duplicate stuff and is fully self contained. It is stored two miles away.
170 miles is an interesting range. In the classic "hurricane" scenario here - one location will likely be untouched, or perhaps both mildly damaged.

But when dough strikes, 170 miles is in the same zone of danger.
California says I live in a high-enough fire area they need to tax me more (oh - wait... It's not a tax... It's a "fee"). I'd say more, but profanity is rude... Suffice it to say it's typical of CA to tax areas with no CA fire responsibility when national forest and local fire does all the work.

We've been through several close fires and this post/thread is spot on for those living in a fire area and of course I could/should be doing more. At this time, we have a single box that is our "grab and go" for important documents, but I need to scan them to files I can keep at alternate locations, especially since we have adopted children (the files are at court, so they wouldn't be "gone", but bureaucracy is slow). As for places to go and ways to haul, we're good for the immediate as well as the situations with some notice, and thankfully my work has little to no basis at home. It's definitely something to think about and prepare for.
I have 95% of my docs all backed up on a 1TB usb harddrive along with copies of paper docs... and that is stored in a firesafe. ( good for a small house fire only , not a total ). But also very easily portable is my encrypted 32gb speed stick for personal data/info. ( I backed up all my stuff after having a computer crash and learned the hard way to back things up once a month )

Being in a fairly suburban area about 50 miles east of NYC and living on an Island means large fires are usu unlikely .
As to supplies, most are already split into the large tupperware tubs so not to bad if needed to pack some out into the truck if some form of warning, tho not high on my plan list.
Tubs are Numbered in a rack with the low numbers being the grab first tubs(mix of everything)

Not much else to do as I'll prob never be able to get off this Island if it really goes south.... maybe a good pump to drain my neighbors pools for firefighting Smile
(05-01-2017, 01:09 AM)Bob Wrote: 170 miles is an interesting range.  In the classic "hurricane" scenario here - one location will likely be untouched, or perhaps both mildly damaged.

But when dough strikes, 170 miles is in the same zone of danger.

Not so much of a concern in Michigan. Don't typically have hurricanes, or floods, or wildfires, landslides, avalanches, volcanoes, tsunamis or earthquakes. We do get an occasional tornado in the southern and central part of state and an occasional blizzard but those are typically short term events.  I will say that 170 miles is often the difference between no snow at home vs. two feet of snow at the cabin.
Wildfires were never much of a concern in my area until last winter, when all those people got killed in Gatlinburg, TN.  My brother called me from California and asked about the fires, and how far away they were.  I said we were about 90 minutes from the closest one.  He asked if I had an evacuation plan, and the lightbulb in my head finally lit up.  I hadn't even thought about evacuating.  He advised me to think about it, so I put together a plan to get all the paperwork, valuables, guns, photos, some food and water, etc. into the truck within a few minutes time frame.  He had personally saved the mission he worked at on the US/Mexico border many years ago during a wildfire.  While everyone else evacuated, he got up on the roof with a hose and kept the building from burning.  I've got a different attitude about fire now after our little chat.
Burning near Starkey where we often camp / have SEPF meet ups!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Financial Preparedness / Next Recession Bob 3 179 08-26-2019, 01:10 PM
Last Post: mac66
Question Your advice to someone new to emergency preparedness and/or self reliance David 35 24,339 07-16-2019, 10:03 AM
Last Post: bmyers
  Fires - not to be trifled with! Bob 11 1,515 11-30-2018, 02:43 PM
Last Post: justsaymo
Question Level of preparedness - 72hr David 19 10,073 09-11-2017, 09:44 PM
Last Post: JRSC
  Level of preparedness - SHTF/WROL/TEOTWAWTI David 13 7,184 09-08-2017, 12:30 PM
Last Post: Tom Mac
  Tennessee Fires Bob 3 2,025 01-25-2017, 12:21 PM
Last Post: David
  Level of preparedness - 30 days David 24 13,298 09-12-2016, 12:43 PM
Last Post: David
  Survival and Preparedness 2016 JRSC 4 3,171 01-06-2016, 05:16 AM
Last Post: Bob
  Preparedness and Thanksgiving. Bob 5 2,977 11-28-2015, 12:51 AM
Last Post: Bob