Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Refreshing the gear
Whenever the world gets overly stupid, i stop and refresh/double check my gear. I was fairly certain that NK was going to do a missile test this weekend, and marginally certain that we would have then shot them with cruise missiles,  etc...   basically all hell breaking loose.  So, yesterday I refreshed my radio equipment (and other gear)

As I've posted in other places, I'm a ham radio operator and i've got a few radios.

I decided to put my yr7 (handheld multi band by yaesu) radio in the car.  I packed a hard sided case with the radio, chargers, antennas, etc. Realized that I did not have a car charger for it and my antenna wouldn't fit.  So, Amazon time..  I decided to put this in my car because it's small, battery powered and i'm very familiar with it

My 817 (all band mobile/base radio) is my end of the world radio, since it will transmit on anything.  It's in a hard sided case (harbor freight had a 25% off sale on Sunday. They had an 11 x 8 hard sided case for $13) which just about perfectly fit the radio, antennas, power cords, etc. it's going to stay at home because it's a little bigger and harder to use.  But, it's all packed up in a box with all of the parts I need to make it work. 

I soldered up some extension power cords and plugs with gator clips, made up some harnesses with Anderson power pole connectors (I have a 60ah AGM battery in reserve).   Just really tried to think my way though all the parts and pieces and connections I need to make everything work.

Finally, i have one of the first gen Baouefun radios. I think I paid $30 for it. In trying to get it up and running, i determined that the battery was dead. I happened to have a 3 AAA holder in my junk box, so i soldered the wires to the terminals on the radio and glued the holder to the back of the radio. It looks like arse, but i don't give a damn  long as it works. It's probably going to live in my girlfriends car anyway..  .. with instructions to get to the top floor of her office and 'meet me' on the 2m calling frequency

I'll post pictures of any and all of this stuff if anyone cares
(04-17-2017, 10:52 PM)ric0123 Wrote: My 817 (all band mobile/base radio) is my end of the world radio, since it will transmit on anything.  It's in a hard sided case (harbor freight had a 25% off sale on Sunday. They had an 11 x 8 hard sided case for $13) which just about perfectly fit the radio, antennas, power cords, etc. it's going to stay at home because it's a little bigger and harder to use.  But, it's all packed up in a box with all of the parts I need to make it work. 

I'll post pictures of any and all of this stuff if anyone cares

Yes, pic are always good....

For your 817...  throw in some 40ft thin gauge wire ( like 28gauge ) and pick up a Zmatch tuner  ( uses no power and usu can match anything )
And you can match up almost any band to a piece of wire thrown in a tree ( do it on all my qrp outings )
like this
[Image: zm2_1b.jpg]

Takes no real space and gets you on the air

I keep a K2 with built in tuner / battery ( gell cell ) ready in a case... radio go bag Smile
Faraday cages.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
(04-19-2017, 12:13 PM)kirgi08 Wrote: Faraday cages.'08.

Mostly radio go bag kept for your everyday normal disaster, not zombies etc...

But, I keep the old tube radios still working , no transistors, no cage needed.
Have a couple tube transmitters and receivers a part of my radio hobby.... I fire them up a least once a month and the best part is i know how to fix them
( keep a junk box of tubes, parts, etc ) ( funny thing is many tubes today come from Russia / China )

( the cheap radios, scanners ,etc are packed in the metal garbage can, properly sealed or an 50 cal ammo box )
So, couple things:

I have an LG817 auto tuner. (got it with the radio) so I'm good there. I do have several rolls of 20 awg that i keep with the radio, as well as a paper copy of the formula (i've been carrying that piece of paper around for 20 years, since i copied it out of the antenna book at Radio Shack when I worked there)

Faraday cage? Yeah, probably a good idea in theory. However, I spent a lot of time talking to an engineer who works at Los Alamos about EMP.. the reality is... no one really knows how an EMP will react. On top of that, i'm in a concrete building. I'll take my chances.

The 7r has been going in and out of the car with me. I wish i would have set it up. We had an incident today (I live in Austin, Tx, there was a university stabbing)

As a side note, i just ordered one of the super cheap Chinese mobile radios and i'm going to turn it into a battery powered base station as ive mentioned the idea previously. ill do a pic dump at some point
Unfortunately, I am not very good at following written instructions.  So, this is what I have done over the years.

When I buy any communications gear, I make two copies of the manual.  One copy goes into a file folder in the 4 drawer filing cabinet.  The other two are put in separate slide lock plastic baggies with the unit.  I figure that I am so bad at following instructions, someone may have to read along side of me some day.

If the radio unit takes an antenna, I make sure that it is the one I want or buy another immediately.

If the radio takes battery packs, I buy two extras. 

At this point I pause and explain that nothing is worse in this world than trying to find a manual or spare parts for a discontinued product.  The great whiz bang equipment of today is not supported tomorrow. 

Snapware makes clear plastic/water resistant containers.  You won't find them at the big box store.  They come in different sizes and  can be stacked.  So, no tagging the contents.  Try stacking the garbage plastic storage containers from the big box stores.

Each communications device goes into a separate container.  Additional, marked batteries in clear plastic battery holders go into each snapware container.  Why?  When shtf, you may have to give a unit to someone.  So everything is in one place, with spare parts and protected from water while you know what is in the container. 

The most difficult chore is making the decision to get rid of old equipment.  Unfortunately, unused equipment also wears out in storage.  Having the old portable cb unit that resembles a WW2 handheld unit in size is no desirable when it is bulky and you would have to carry that equipment after you have retired.
good ideas...

One of the things I look for in radios is the availability to feed it 12v dc ( usu external cigar plug/ cord )
Most of my items run on 12v and allows my backup solar setup to be used