Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fire kit
Question 
What's your EDC fire kit?

What is you GHB fire kit?

What is your BOB fire kit?

And why did you chosoe the items you chose?
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
(04-16-2017, 12:43 AM)David Wrote: What's your EDC fire kit?

With family - Nothing.  It's a deficiency that is going to change in the next couple days when a certain order arrives... And a post will follow.
To/from/at work - I have my GHB but also have a Firesteel/scraper/magnesium rod in my daily work backpack.  In CA, everything burns, so unless it's raining NOW, I can make a fire.

What is you GHB fire kit?

Right now I have a kit that includes a small Bic lighter, waterproof matches, a firesteel, magnesium, fatwood, scraper, and some round cotton pads.  I could probably thin that out, but fire is important.

What is your BOB fire kit?

My BOB is pretty much my GHB right now.  We don't have BOBs.  That does need to change at some point.  Yes... I'm a failure.

And why did you chosoe the items you chose?

I've made char cloth, started fires with flint and steel and have a nice flint/steel kit with a fair amount of char cloth and can make lots more.  That said, if I could light a fire with a lighter or match and dedicate my time to something else, I will.  That's why my GHB (if I use it, things are bad and I'll take all the time I can get, if for nothing else than rest) has lighter, matches, firesteel, fatwood, etc.  I practice with all methods, but flint/steel and firesteel get the most attention because they are "worst case" scenarios.  
EDC - Always carry a lighter on my person.  My personal choice is an orange Zippo.  My reasoning is that it can be fueled by so many different sources and I can carry spare flints right in the insert.  With a ranger band I can get three weeks out of it before having to refuel.  I also have a peanut lighter on my 'survival' key chain.  My previous peanut lighter was going six months plus before I refueled.  I'm testing another type of peanut lighter now so I'll see how long that one lasts.  I like a peanut lighter because it's small, has all the advantages of the Zippo and cheap.  I also have a small ferro rod on the same key chain.

In my EDC bag I have a mini-Bic and one of those jet-lighters.  Also have my DIY fire-starter wafers. 

GHB/BOB - pretty much the same thing; Bic-style lighters (I got a deal on cheap Chinese lighters for 10 cents each and they seem to be okay.  I don't think they're the same quality as a Bic or Scripto but for 10 cents each I couldn't pass them up).  Big/thick ferro rods.  DIY fire-starter wafers and I need to add char cloth.  Made a whole batch at our last SEP gathering but gave it all away. Need to make more, stuff really works incredibly well.  In the GHB I also have potassium permanganate and glycerin which is dual purpose in that it can disinfect water, wound wash and creates a chemical fire.

What is this ranger band trick you speak of?!? I tried using chapstick or vaseline or something to seal the insert and that really didn't work for me.

I don't smoke... never have, but the smell of a Zippo brings me back to my Boy Scout camping days and I love them. I would love to use them more but they seem to die too quick.

Did you get your peanut lighter from CountyComm or somewhere else?
A ranger band is nothing more than a piece of bike inner tube that is cut off and placed on the Zippo between the lid and body (over the opening) to give it a seal.  

I've bought all of my peanut lighters from Ebay.  I get the cheap ones and then simply add a better O-ring.  I've purchased them for like $1.99 and have had them last 6+ months before I refilled them.  They may well have lasted longer but I stopped the test at six months.  The one I have on my 'survival' key chain now looks like a bullet.   That's not the reason though I choose it, rather both the top unscrew (to get to the wick and flint wheel) as well as the bottom (to fill it).  I found that on some of the others the insert would start sticking and kinda come apart when trying to take it out to refill.  More expensive ones may indeed be better quality but overall I've been pleased so far with the frugal choices.

I just wanted to post real quick to reinforce the benefits of a Zippo "Ranger Band". 

I filled one of my Zippo lighters almost a month ago.  I lit it a few times in the first week but haven't touched it for nearly three weeks.  Today it lit right up.  I'm very impressed!  This is the best performance from a Zippo I've ever had.
+1

Pretty much a mandatory 'tweak' for a Zippo.

No lighter for me. Several of the facilities that I go to inspect work doesn't allow lighters (might have to do with the large amount of explosive material there), so my fire starting equipment all stays in the vehicle in the GHB.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fire piston and how to use it. ghost 3 312 01-20-2018, 04:18 PM
Last Post: bmyers
Smile Demonstrating fire making methods David 7 734 12-26-2017, 03:00 PM
Last Post: David
Information Fire Lay 101 JRSC 1 956 12-18-2017, 12:36 AM
Last Post: JRSC
  Solar fire starter ghost 1 784 08-29-2017, 02:51 AM
Last Post: Gene
  Cotton ball and rust friction fire ghost 0 553 06-30-2017, 07:56 AM
Last Post: ghost
  Cotton ball and wood ash friction fire ghost 2 1,250 06-20-2017, 02:32 PM
Last Post: ghost
  Rock+steel+tender=fire ghost 1 1,026 06-18-2017, 03:04 PM
  Fire from Char Cloth Bob 3 1,302 02-17-2017, 06:47 PM
Last Post: Scout
Video Interesting Fire Starting Method JRSC 8 3,232 12-21-2016, 02:21 PM
  Make a Fire With AA batteries And a Bubble Gum Wrapper and other ways JRSC 13 4,296 10-16-2016, 11:30 AM