Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nanos are No More, Shields are Up.
Looks pretty much perfect for a fun day shooting Smile
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Just picked up the 45 Shield, with the sale price, rebate and my points... dern near gived it to me...

First shots today, very impressed. I was a little concerned with the size (small) and the weight (light) pushing out +P 45s ("may affect wear characteristics..." according the the manual). They shot great and I was amazed by how soft shooting the 45 Shield is. I have the M&P 45c (GREAT gun) which isn't that much heavier and has plenty more to hang on to - easy great shooter. By the second shot out of the Shield I was very comfortable with recoil (push). Much easier than a 357 snubby.

The smaller Shield shows deficiencies in shooters form and is less forgiving than the larger M&P 45's, though with some concentration, front sight focus and squeeeeze and the Shield print perfectly to the sights with the loads I tried - nothing lighter than 220gr.

I like it better than I thought I would and will likely make it into a CCW role once I find a holster I like for it.
Once you pick up a Shield and shoot it a bit you see why it's one of the top selling CCW guns on the market. I totally love mine. Granted, the Nano was nice an all but the Shield just feels better in my hand.
My wife's cousin just bought herself a Shield for CCW/purse carry.  She paid $275 after the rebate.  Really, you just can't go wrong with a deal like this.  Nice to see that prices are coming down to being very reasonable. The gun/ammo industry probably isn't liking it very much but from the consumers stand point it's gold.  And I have to say, the gun/ammo industry has been feeding fat and living high for quite some time, based in part on people's fears.  Time for them to come down and cater to us rather than the other way around.  Time to compete for our business rather than be thankful for what we can get at a price point.

Anyway, she wants to go shooting again, which is good but will also give me the opportunity to fire the Shield as well.  Looking forward to it.

I have a sneaky feeling S&W is going to bring out a Shield 2.0 that'll be more like the 45 Shield so they've got to move out the "old" stock so that's why they're offering the rebate. Either way the Shield is a great gun. I shoot it better than both the full size 9 and the compact 9c.
CDNN has them now for $249 after the rebate.

I scored the 9mm at the price they were offering a few weeks ago for $215 after rebate plus shipping and tax. Amazing gun for that price.

Of the two I like the 45 better. It will take more reps to know for sure but so far I shoot the 45 better. The 9mm seems to be a bit more finicky accuracy wise, it's cycled everything I've fed it - all factory ammo. The 45 seems to shoot FMJ, cast and JHP 225-245 grain factory and handloads well.  It did NOT like the wadcutters but RN, RF, and HP all cycle well.  Even the wadcutters cycled most of the time - though when they locked up it took more than a tap-rack to clear them....

I'm impressed with both and for the price you just can't beat them.
I mentioned in the deal alert thread that S&W is continuing the rebate from July 1-Sept 30 this time on shields, full sized M&Ps and compacts. I've resisted so far because I really don't need anymore pistols but if the prices are like the current ones it is going to be hard to resist. I think S&W's strategy is to get everyone on board with their guns. Once you hook them, they are your's forever. Pretty smart idea actually.
When we were shooting a couple of weeks ago a woman shooting next to us had a 9mm Shield that my wife tried out and liked quite bit.  She expressed some interest in it so now I'm on the lookout for a good deal on one for her.  Probably keep the Taurus PT709 Slim as an extra (and it does pocket carry surprisingly well).

Palmetto State Armory had them on Sale a while back. I don't know if the Rebate is still going but at those prices I bought two and like them, especially the 45.