Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Make Your Own Beef Jerky

Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.

We made some beef jerky this weekend:

[Image: 0408171356a_zpsrbfyp6nq.jpg]

[Image: 0408171659_zpscn3bm4wn.jpg]

[Image: 0408171800_zpsr1cgh6z3.jpg]

In the woods and it was very good...

What kind of meat?  What did you put on it?  And how long did it take?

Inquiring minds want to know  Smile
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I've done the oven method, I'm going to try the "primitive" method sometime...
History is not dead to the man who would learn how the present came to be what it is.

In The Age Of Information, Ignorance Is A Choice.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Coyote-Jerky/

It is trapping season....
History is not dead to the man who would learn how the present came to be what it is.

In The Age Of Information, Ignorance Is A Choice.
I went gung ho and made a lot of beef jerky. After that, I did some research, gave it some thought and reached some conclusions. So, let me learn from you wherein I am wrong:

1. beef jerky has a limited shelf life. It may be as much as three months with homemade jerky unless the jerky is frozen or stored underground or in the refrigerator.

2. Dried cod has a fairly good, but still limited shelf life and could be stacked in the garage, but don't store it in the refrigerator which is humid.

3. Red meat and pork can remain in the refrigerator up to 5 days and can be frozen for 4-12 months. Leftover cooked meat will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator and 2-6 months in the freezer. Ground meats (beef, veal, pork, or poultry) can be refrigerated for 1-2 days and frozen for 3-4 months,

4. The "salt pork" in the supermarket is to be avoided as it is not cured properly.

The soldiers of the American Civil War were smaller/lighter than today. The ration was 1 pound of hardtack (I make it and if done properly will easily last 30 years) and 1 - 1/2 pounds of properly cured pork or beef. Fortunately, a diet needs only a small amount of week per week.

5. I also bought a lot of spam because it was reputed to never go bad. However, after you read about the salt content and preservatives, you learn that you shouldn't eat more than a couple of ounces a day for any extended period of time.

Darn, but getting good tasting/long lasting meat for long term survival is not in the cards.