Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And we are again 60 days out from Hurricane Season...
Those of you living along the coast line could have a busy few months. In the middle of the country, we might get rain from your storms, but that is it.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/09/us/hurrica...index.html

(CNN)Unseasonably warm ocean temperatures and a no-show from El Niño will contribute to what may be the busiest Atlantic hurricane season in seven years, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration announced on Wednesday.

NOAA estimates the ocean will see 14 to 19 named tropical systems this year, up from the 11-17 they had predicted in a previous outlook released in May.

"The season has the potential to be extremely active, and could be the most active since 2010," NOAA said on Wednesday.
Aged in sw fla,btdt.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Quantity has a quality all of its own.
half way through and got Harvey nailing the gulf area of Texas.
I wanted to bring this back up since hurricanes are front page news right now (and rightfully so).  Monday the wife and I went out shopping for non-hurricane related items.  Basically a day off and she wanted to go to a new clearance outlet that opened up on Waters Ave (for those folks in the area).  While we were out we picked up some extra water bottles/jugs. The water purchase was in the category of 'while we're here we may as well grab a few' rather than the all out panic you see at all the big box stores and grocery stores.  Not that one can prep for everything but nice to know you've got all the basics+ covered and don't have to go into panic mode.  I gassed up all the vehicles yesterday.  I try not to let them get below half a tank.  As someone said here a while back, half a tank is the new 'empty'.  

I does beg the question;  why does the majority wait until something is on the way before they start grabbing for the last bottle of water?  If you've been in Florida for more than a day you've heard about hurricane season (not the mention all the Gulf states).  It isn't a new thing yet it's the same old thing i.e. the mob grabbing all the plywood and bottles of water.  And of course buying out the generators only to return them or sell them at the next garage sale.  

I've got plywood marked for all the windows and back door as well as the hurricane screen for the lanai.  Checked all of my batteries and lights as a routine check.  Have the Berkey and Sawyer filters if necessary.  Plenty of food and a small camp stove and gas grill if needed.  The usual stuff.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
This the panic we have around here when the forecasters mention snow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6zaVYWLTkU

Like you, I wonder why most don't stay better prepared. Although for 16 years, people being stupid kept me gainfully employed as paramedic.
That was funny!
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Well my wife and adult daughter are in Florida. They were visiting my wife's parents last week and then headed to Disney yesterday for another week. Doesn't look like Irma will get that far north but I think Disney wouldn't be bad place to ride it out if they had to.
Two more hurricanes, both tropical storm Jose and tropical storm Katia upgraded to hurricanes.
They are welcome at Fort Bob if they need somewhere to be.

As for the "panic" yeah - like in the past 24 months there hasn't been a storm warning....and you used up all your flashlights since then?!?!?!?!?!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  And our first Hurricane is inbound! Bob 20 850 09-03-2019, 01:51 PM
Last Post: David
Information Hurricane Irma - Post Event/Lessons Learned David 26 8,338 09-19-2017, 08:31 PM
Last Post: mac66
  Hurricane Irma bmyers 65 15,813 09-12-2017, 04:05 PM
Last Post: fishingjeff
Question Level of preparation - 90 days David 10 4,370 09-08-2017, 01:37 PM
Last Post: Bob
  Hurricane Harvey Bob 16 4,268 09-03-2017, 03:32 PM
Last Post: Tom Mac
  TaxFree Prepper Days! Bob 0 1,055 06-03-2017, 01:05 AM
Last Post: Bob
  Hurricane Matthew David 11 4,515 10-28-2016, 10:05 PM
Last Post: JRSC
  Level of preparedness - 30 days David 24 13,492 09-12-2016, 12:43 PM