Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And we are again 60 days out from Hurricane Season...
And that being my #1 treat, means it is time to take stock;

*All of the below is under consideration that flood is truly nt an issue for me.

#1 As always - water; Pool, enough chemicals, stocked on .5l bottles, and now water in 2L frozen containers.  A bunch of Aquamuria, and a Katadyn filter.  Honestly, I just need a Berkey and call it done!

#2 I NEED to restock two propane cans and I'm good for grilling' (or boiling water!)

#3 I have my gas - 4x5 Gals rotating.

#4 Inverter for car - check!  Can run fans/fridge etc as needed!

#5 Batteries and flashlight...of course.  

#6 Just restocked the first aid gear (13 / 15 year old boys means that stuff gets used!)

HD goes without saying.  Maybe tweak the canned stock in garage a little, maybe some more flashlights (just because).

Obviously more than that, but food/water/fuel, and light.  I'll be ok for a couple weeks no problem!
#1  Between the Saywer in-line filter, bottles and mini filters, Berkey and the Katadyn I should be all set.  Lake right across the street and several 55 gallon rain barrels.

#2  I've got three propane cans (large ones) as well as maybe a half dozen of the smaller ones so that would cover quite a bit of cooking.

#3  19 gallons.  Will need to rotate it in the next month or so, perhaps take care of it sooner.

#4  Not a large inverter but enough for lights, fans and small appliances.  Also have the small solar power generator.

#5  Well, anyone that knows me personally knows I have this area covered and then some.   Wink

#6  Been working on that lately and feel kinda, sorta comfortable with what's on hand now for more common issues.

HD is a check.  Canned and bucket food is a check for many months on top of quail eggs, meat and rabbit for meat.  

Would still much prefer not to have a hurricane of any strength come through of course.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
(04-02-2017, 09:26 PM)Bob Wrote: And that being my #1 treat, means it is time to take stock;

*All of the below is under consideration that flood is truly nt an issue for me.

#1 As always - water; Pool, enough chemicals, stocked on .5l bottles, and now water in 2L frozen containers.  A bunch of Aquamuria, and a Katadyn filter.  Honestly, I just need a Berkey and call it done!

#2 I NEED to restock two propane cans and I'm good for grilling' (or boiling water!)

#3 I have my gas - 4x5 Gals rotating.

#4 Inverter for car - check!  Can run fans/fridge etc as needed!

#5 Batteries and flashlight...of course.  

#6 Just restocked the first aid gear (13 / 15 year old boys means that stuff gets used!)

HD goes without saying.  Maybe tweak the canned stock in garage a little, maybe some more flashlights (just because).

Obviously more than that, but food/water/fuel, and light.  I'll be ok for a couple weeks no problem!

A flood could be an issue for us as we live a ways in from the coast but that river and the interstate between us and higher ground could be a problem. 

#1 Check- 5 55 gallon drums of rain catchment and several different ways to filter it and of course the bottled water stached everywhere. 

#2 Check- I have a pile of those saved up (can't remember, about 10-12) and 5 different cooking implements to use them.

#3 Check- About 30 gallons of Rec fuel with stabilizer in them in a cool dry place. About 100 gallons of diesel fuel.  

#4 Check- 2 generators/ some solar stuff and batteries plus 2 large deep cycle batteries in the big truck/ and a couple of different inverters.

#5 Check- Batteries and flashlights...of course and walkie talkies. Candles/ lanterns...

#6 Check- We have a large tote full of cool stuff but not real sure it's all that complete= need to review this.

HD has been covered for years and we are good on that subject for years.

Provided the situation of topic does not hit us directly, we should be good for a while.

What we really need to do is turn off the water and the main breaker for the weekend for a practice run under controlled conditions. This could help us to figure out holes or what is missing from our preps and give us a little taste of what could come and not be such a big sucky shock if/when it happens. I am in discussion with the wife on this, as we should do this soon before the summer gets to disgusting hot.

Oh and Bob, our #1 treat is marshmallows and we definitely do not have enough of those...   Big Grin

Well...looks like we all need to run through the medicine cabinet in a serious way!
(04-04-2017, 03:13 AM)Bob Wrote: Well...looks like we all need to run through the medicine cabinet in a serious way!

That's always an area of consideration.  In 'normal' times I feel pretty good about what I've got stored for the various considerations from boo-boos to severe bleeding to ailments. However, in a serious situation it would be hard to really have everything that you could possibly need.  Particularly for long term.

I think a double stock of all the basics is a good way to go.

I place a premium on wound care basic pain relief, infection protection, and anti-diarheals (the #1 post event killer...) A good stock of that, and a little sense, will;l go far.
Well we've had a couple of T.S. so far.  

How ya feeling so far this season?  I need to rotate my stored gas out.  Try to do that on Monday.

Well, everyone in the same mode of getting ready... ( no flood here , on hill top, it all goes downhill Smile )
Overall, think I'm in pretty good shape now.

1) done rotating the gas, did it a while short while back, running out the last 2016 gas in the mower ( rotated 20 galls I keep for the gen )
2) rotated some of the meds I stock, rotated the can goods and dated all with exp date on top (sharpie )
3) rotated the water as short while ago
4) getting 2 - 120 gallon propane tanks installed next month for the new propane fireplace going in ( no more winter worries about heat if oil gone/ used up )
Pain in the arse working with local govt re permits..they want permits for everything you do here ( prob just want the $ )
5) added more powdered milk to the storage area ( grandkids made me do it Smile )
6)have a gennie for home can go for 30 days if need be, the toyota trunk has a built in invertor and outlets in the bed, running small solar unit with about 150 aHrs capacity all checked out and good.
7) loaded another 1k rounds for my main pistol ( had used up my extra )

Needs
1) go over my batteries esp the C and D cells for the various items
2) go over my ham radios and the couple of travel kits I use for QRP when away, Have to check the large radios and antennas for winter
3) have to buy some tarps... mine are getting old and always nice to have a few new ones just in case
4) need more duct tape...
5) need 12g shotgun shells
Wholesale Hunter has S&B 00 Buckshot for $80 a case. They are just outside of Montgomery AL.

https://www.wholesalehunter.com/Product/...rce=A10003
(06-24-2017, 07:02 PM)Tsquare Wrote: Wholesale Hunter has S&B 00 Buckshot for $80 a case. They are just outside of Montgomery AL.

https://www.wholesalehunter.com/Product/...rce=A10003

midway has it for $70/case

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101695...-9-pellets

BTW I shot up about 200 rounds of that stuff in my Saiga at recent run and gun matchs. It worked flawlessly. Not as tight a pattern as the flight control wad stuff but good enough for knocking stuff over. There were a lot of guys using it.    I bought two cases of it @ $70/case in March and then midway had it on sale for $65 case over Memorial day and I bought 2 more. Wish I'd bought more since I've since used up a case and a half. Oh wait, I think I will buy a couple more.

Edited to add: Did buy another couple 250/cases

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Hurricane Irma - Post Event/Lessons Learned David 26 4,305 09-19-2017, 08:31 PM
Last Post: mac66
  Hurricane Irma bmyers 65 7,491 09-12-2017, 04:05 PM
Last Post: fishingjeff
Question Level of preparation - 90 days David 10 2,704 09-08-2017, 01:37 PM
Last Post: Bob
  Hurricane Harvey Bob 16 1,967 09-03-2017, 03:32 PM
Last Post: Tom Mac
  TaxFree Prepper Days! Bob 0 735 06-03-2017, 01:05 AM
Last Post: Bob
  Hurricane Matthew David 11 2,841 10-28-2016, 10:05 PM
Last Post: JRSC
  Level of preparedness - 30 days David 24 9,216 09-12-2016, 12:43 PM